Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming With Home Made Candi Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
pfi309
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Priming With Home Made Candi Syrup

I have a Old Ale fermenting that I would like to prime with home made candi syrup. Question is, if beer smith says it takes say 4 oz of cane sugar to properly prime this beer can I just take the 4 oz of sugar and convert it into candi syrup and usage it to prime the bottles or will the rate of usage be different for the candi sugar(two mono saccharides) versus sugar(disaccharide).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfi309 View Post
I have a Old Ale fermenting that I would like to prime with home made candi syrup. Question is, if beer smith says it takes say 4 oz of cane sugar to properly prime this beer can I just take the 4 oz of sugar and convert it into candi syrup and usage it to prime the bottles or will the rate of usage be different for the candi sugar(two mono saccharides) versus sugar(disaccharide).
It should be the same, since the yeast has to first break down sucrose into glucose and fructose before it can eat it anyway. The only issue I can see is if you cook the candi syrup long enough or dark enough that you've developed some unfermentables that won't contribute carbonation.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply