Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
ronzonie7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Debate

So, we're debating over the pros/cons of using DME vs Corn Sugar for our priming sugar...

Does it really make a difference? Most things I read suggest that corn sugar doesn't impart any flavors. Obviously expense factors into this discussion, but our main concern is getting good, solid carbonation appropriate to the beer style.

So, if we're brewing a lighter ale, and we want it to have a refreshing amount of bubbles, are we better off with corn sugar, which I have read carbonates quicker/more reliably? Or is there just not that much of a difference, either way? Might it make sense for other styles to opt for a different priming sugar?

I'm sure this has probably been discussed here before, but my glance through the stickied posts in this thread didn't really go in-depth enough to satisfy my curiosity.

We blog our beer at http://greenvillebeerbrothers.blogspot.com!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i would suggest sticking with the tried and true corn sugar.

but i have heard of people keeping 2 liters of the wart in a sanitized jug then adding it back in at bottling time instead of corn sugar. in theory this wont affect the taste of the beer because your adding more of whats already in there in the same proportions and the yeast will ferment it back to beer levels during carbonation.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
pweizman
Recipes 

Is corn sugar the same as household sugar?

Because I have heard varying stories of the differences between table sugar and corn sugar & their respective effects on beer's taste.

Patrick

Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
ronzonie7
Recipes 

Wow, using some of the wort...that's an interesting idea. Seems like you might get a varied amount of carbonation, depending on the sweetness of your wort. Would you use brix as a gauge? What brix is corn sugar, typically?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
ronzonie7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizman View Post
Is corn sugar the same as household sugar?

Because I have heard varying stories of the differences between table sugar and corn sugar & their respective effects on beer's taste.

Patrick
I'm not the expert, but I know that they are not the same thing. Corn sugar is from corn (obv), whereas table sugar is derived from sugar cane or beets, I believe. I think they are chemically very different, and will break down differently in the fermentation process. Papazian says to basically never use table sugar.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
PSmurf78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzonie7 View Post
I'm not the expert, but I know that they are not the same thing. Corn sugar is from corn (obv), whereas table sugar is derived from sugar cane or beets, I believe. I think they are chemically very different, and will break down differently in the fermentation process. Papazian says to basically never use table sugar.
Table sugar = Sucrose - C12 H22 O11

Corn sugar = Dextrose - C6 H12 06

They're different simple sugars that can be used. I think for priming they're pretty interchangeable.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want "to have a refreshing amount of bubbles", you can also use Honey.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From what I understand, using DME will give you finer bubbles than using corn sugar. My one attempt at using DME for priming was a disaster. Think beer with very little carbonation.

If you put "beer priming sugar calculator" into google, you can find several calculators which will help you figure out how much sugar or DME you need for a certain type of beer for priming.

FWIW you can pretty much interchange corn and cane sugar for priming. Most times you are going to use between 4 and 5 oz. for 5 gallons, so it really doesn't affect the taste.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
businesstime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used DME for my last batch (first time) and it turned out well. The foam was much (creamier?) than cane sugar. However, it did take a while - 7 weeks to full carbonation.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i agree with not using table sugar. from what i read it can produce an apple flavor in your beer. honey dose work good but be careful how much you use. honey is VERY fermentable. i don't know the exact figures but i know its more fermentable than corn sugar and if you use to much your bottles will explode.

Quick Reply