Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primed 3/4 corn sugar in secondary, bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Icon578
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primed 3/4 corn sugar in secondary, bad?

Hey guys, first time brewer with a big time problem!

I decided to make a summer Witbier for my first brew and everything went very smoothly.. Up until today when I accidentally added 3/4cup corn sugar into secondary. I take it that was a mistake and the corn sugar should have been used for bottling. What are the consequences? And the necessary steps to save the brew?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

no consequences. it will have slightly more alcohol. let it finish fermenting, then condition and then bottle with new priming sugar.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Haha it is fine! Take a deep breath and relax!

The sugar will be fermented out by the yeast. It will give you a little boost in alcohol, and maybe dry the beer out a wee bit, but it will be fine! It will actually help protect your beer by ensuring the renewed fermentation keeps a protective blanket of C02 over your beer while it ages.

If you can't get more corn sugar for bottling, then look up how much table sugar to use to prime on HowtoBrew.com!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
mountainbrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone do this intentionally for added alcohol and fermentation?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I have a recipe that has any simple sugars, I'll usually wait 3 or 4 days before adding it to the fermenter.

I usually add an ounce of sugar whenever I rack onto gelatin (gets the gelatin mixed and creates a CO2 blanket ....... makes me feel better anyway).

When adding fruit to a secondary; basically all you are doing is adding extra simple sugars for the yeast.

It's no problem.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Icon578
Recipes 

Well I feel relieved! I thought I did irreversible damage, for my first time brewing experience Im happy that this was my only mistake (so far)! Thanks guys for the replies!

Quick Reply