Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary, Secondary or Bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
abrdnck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Primary, Secondary or Bottle?

Hi -

I've had a batch of BGSA in the primary for about 6 weeks now. Up until about a week ago, it had about 2 inches of yeasty foam on top, but that has all settled over the past week. Hydrometer readings have been stable over the past 3 days.

However, the beer is still quite cloudy. I'm not sure where to go from here. I could leave it in the primary to clear for a few weeks, which would be easiest to do. I could also put it into a secondary to get it off the yeast to prevent autolysis, which I have read is not too big of a concern these days. Or, I could prime and bottle, knowing full well that it will require about 3 months of bottle conditioning before being ready to drink and will have plenty of time to clear up.

I appreciate any suggestions. This beer will try my patience, but hopefully will reward my patience as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I'd do the secondary, if I was in your shoes. I'd rack over to my carboy, pop an airlock on that bad boy, and forget it exists until about Turkey Day.

If you want it clear sooner, you could try gelatin or cold crashing.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

autolysis is not the demon nowadays that it was thought to be just a couple of years ago. You can leave your beer in primary for another week or two, or even much longer without fear of autolysis. In fact, the current consensus holds that a couple of extra weeks in primary improves the beer greatly as the yeast cleans up any traces of dms and other off-flavors.

Quick Reply