Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary and secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
BrokeCollegeStudent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary and secondary

Ok, umm... tell me why you guys use a primary and a secondary. Why not just leave it in one carboy for 2 week or 3 weeks, then bottle?

Again, i havent made any beer yet, so im just asking a question, not trying to be a smarta$$.

And, when you transfer from one carboy to a bucket or whatever, how do you do that without getting any of the crap from the primary to the secondary?

BrokeCollegeStudent

"Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity." Karl Marx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You rack to secondary to get the beer off the crap at the bottom of the primary. (trub)
Use a racking cane with a U bend so you rack above the trub.
You can leave it in primary for longer if you want and not do a secondary. Some do. It's up to you.

www.howtobrew.com is a great place to read up on all this.

I take it you are thinking of starting brewing. It's a great hobby, goodluck.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
BrokeCollegeStudent
Recipes 

Default thanx

Yea, ive heard its awesome, plus you get to do some chem without taking classes. So anyway, how do you rack it, you dont pour it i wouldnt imagine. But in Homebrew.com or whatever, they dont tell you about secondarys, or at least what i read.

So does it alter the flavor? I love porter, and my girlfriend loves Raspberry.... sooo the only way shes going to let me do this in the apartment is to make a raspberry stout or porter.

Got any help? should i repost that question?

BrokeCollegeStudent

"Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity." Karl Marx

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

http://www.realbeer.com/search/searc...uery=secondary

Every good how to brewing article will cover secondary fermenting and racking.
See my above post for racking methods.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
BruDaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are lots of ways to make a fruit version of your favorite beer. Simplest might be using a fruit puree, a lot of homebrew suppliers will sell a sanitize fruit puree that you can pour right into the fermenter along with the boiled wort. You don't have to worry about sanitizing the fruit which can lead to other complications, plus you don't have the bulk fruit, seeds/pits, etc to fuss with when racking. On the other hand, most folks tend to feel that using fresh or fresh-frozen fruit yields much better flavor. There are a number of threads on this forum that address this, plus Joy of Homebrewing has some recipes for fruity beer.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
brewdouble
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCollegeStudent
Yea, ive heard its awesome, plus you get to do some chem without taking classes. So anyway, how do you rack it, you dont pour it i wouldnt imagine. But in Homebrew.com or whatever, they dont tell you about secondarys, or at least what i read.

So does it alter the flavor? I love porter, and my girlfriend loves Raspberry.... sooo the only way shes going to let me do this in the apartment is to make a raspberry stout or porter.

Got any help? should i repost that question?
When racking to secondary, I would HIGHLY recommend getting an autosiphon (you can order one from Northern Brewer). An autosiphon makes the process really easy. You definitely do not want to pour as you want to avoid splashing. Introducing air into the beer at this point can cause oxidation which will introduce off-flavors.

Really using a secondary is not necessary for most beers unless you want to focus on making a nice clear beer. I use secondaries for all my beers since the people I share them with do not like cloudy, murky beers.

Clone Brews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers

Quick Reply