Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary only proponents: high gravity beer conditioning question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
tincob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary only proponents: high gravity beer conditioning question

So like a lot of people, I only use a primary bucket (no secondary). I'm going to try cold crashing a UK red ale in the primary this week and I plan on dry hopping in the primary with my IIPA.

The question I have for you is what do you do for high gravity beers that call for long conditioning - like 2, 3, 6+ months? I'm talking about IIPAs, Wee-Heavys, Apfelwein, Holiday ales, etc.

I've heard that long term bulk conditioning has a lot of advantages over long term bottle conditioning as far as blending and smoothing out the flavors.

Do you keep them in your primary plastic bucket for that long? I know it's possible (there are plenty of people who've done it for even longer). The question is whether you actually condition them in your bucket for that long as your normal practice based on good results?

It seems like a glass carboy (as much as there are concerns about breakage) would be the perfect vehicle for long term bulk conditioning.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best solution for high gravity beers...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Cold_Steel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too would like this answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc
Doesn't blowing on it when its soft cause it to get hard? It's been a while, but I think that's how it used to work...

Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I try and do as much as I can in the primary (like dry hopping), but for long term bulk aging, I use a secondary. My old ale was about 6 months in a glass carboy.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
I try and do as much as I can in the primary (like dry hopping), but for long term bulk aging, I use a secondary. My old ale was about 6 months in a glass carboy.
I do the same but I usually secondary in a keg as opposed to a carboy unless I'm dryhopping or putting in other adjuncts.

I primary for 1 month for all beers except low gravity session beers.

Last edited by Bopper; 12-16-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't think there's anyone out there advocating primary only for all situations. Bulk aging is one of those exceptions, a glass secondary or a keg is the way to go.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

For bulk aging, just like lagering you you should rack it to secondary, after a month or two.....Once you've let the yeast do it's think in primary; i.e "clean up after itself," then you don't really need it to sit on the yeast cake any longer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Even if you do not have a kegging setup, cornies are a great way to age beer. No light, no break, and compact. When you want to bottle, you can siphon it to a bucket.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm a primary only proponent, but for extended bulk aging for barleywines, lambics and the like, a secondary is obviously required. I've got a couple 3 gal Better Bottles for this duty.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Cold_Steel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=tincob;1745642
I've heard that long term bulk conditioning has a lot of advantages over long term bottle conditioning as far as blending and smoothing out the flavors.

QUOTE]

What about this? is it better to condition in the bottle or in bulk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc
Doesn't blowing on it when its soft cause it to get hard? It's been a while, but I think that's how it used to work...

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
bdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so if you use a corny for secondary conditioning in these instances, do you just then carb and serve out of that same keg? Or do you syphon into a different corny when you're ready to start drinking? reason I ask is, wouldn't there be some sedimentation fallout from the long secondary? Even if the bulk of it occurred in the primary? Or is it so little that it doesn't matter?

Quick Reply