Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary in Glass Or Plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
soccerbigt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary in Glass Or Plastic

Hey i was just wondering whats the best way to start your primary?? In a glass carboy or a plastic container?? I am going to be putting it in a keg and force carbing it eventually. Any help would be great.
I know its probably a dumb question but im very new to this.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think your beer has a peference on what it likes better as long as it is sanitary

Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryolla View Post
I don't think your beer has a peference on what it likes better as long as it is sanitary
THIS is probably the answer I have ever heard!!!!!!!!

This is probably the most discussed topics on here, and it really really really comes down to your preference....Me, I don't use glass if I can avoid it...

Everything I use is either buckets, Betterbottles or 3 gallon water jugs...

Here's a lot of threads for your enjoyment and edumactaion, so you can best make your own decision...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=2937480

AND here's my biggest reason why I avoid glass...they don't make carboy as well as they might have 20-30 years ago...and I'm a clutz...So I like to keep my blood on the inside of my skin...

No More Glass Beer Fermenters - Lustreking Brewing

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
daktruckie99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used plastic buckets, better bottles, and glass carboys. They all work fine as long as its clean and sanitary as mentioned above

Naught Boy Brewing Co.
Primary: APA, Belgian Wit
Secondary: N/A
Aging: King Kong Stout (12%)
On tap: Brown Ale / Pale Ale

Up Next: Double Pale Ale

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yes, glass or plastic

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

they both have their pro's and con's, Bucket are easier to clean, dry hop in, and won't let the light in, but they stain and can scratch easier than glass giving bacteria a place to live. With glass carboys you can see what's going on, it's a little easier to wash yeast because you can see the separation happening between the yeast and trub. IMO they are a pain to clean and require some extra effort to keep them out of the light. Those are just few.

Like everyone else has said, they will both work fine as long as they are sanitary. I use both because that is what I have gathered over the years, and I don't want to spend the money to switch one way or the other.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

C'mon guys, you'all are being way too "noncommittal"! It is time for another glass vs plastic debate. The last one was over 2 days ago!

Listen to kryolla and Revvy..... it is all personal preference, YOURS. The yeast couldn't care less.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
C'mon guys, you'all are being way too "noncommittal"! It is time for another glass vs plastic debate. The last one was over 2 days ago!

Listen to kryolla and Revvy..... it is all personal preference, YOURS. The yeast couldn't care less.
I think it's because the last one two days ago was sort of the straw that broke the camels back...I guess when you have 10,000 threads of this question, even the new brewers on here are tired of this discussion, you get to a point where you actually don't give a flying flipper anymore...you just wanna have some thing to put your beer in.....And I was nice in my initial post, i even went and liked to the search for all the threads on this discussion so the OP can read the answers of all those people who no longer care to post about this topic either...

We could just post the answers to all those questions on our siggy...

Glass vs Plastic...Doesn't matter...both work
Water Bottles vs Betterbottles...I use both...Both Work
Aluminum vs Stainless I have one of each, doesn't matter...both work
Batch vs Fly Sparge...I batch but some people like to fly...both work
Long Primary vs secondary...I long primary, some use a secondary...both work

Hey wow, I just realized something...in ALL THE VS QUESTIONS, about process or equipment, the answer is the same...They Both Make Beer!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Glass vs Plastic...Doesn't matter...both work
Water Bottles vs Betterbottles...I use both...Both Work
Aluminum vs Stainless I have one of each, doesn't matter...both work
Batch vs Fly Sparge...I batch but some people like to fly...both work
Long Primary vs secondary...I long primary, some use a secondary...both work
Bottled water vs. filtered water...Both work

But don't use polycarbonate bottles for fermenting... could make you grow breasts (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottles-7-banned-63402/)

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Bottled water vs. filtered water...Both work

But don't use polycarbonate bottles for fermenting... could make you grow breasts (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottles-7-banned-63402/)
I've posted info on here a TON of times showing that now since the bpe ban in Canada and more attention to the dangers, that a lot of spring water distributors are now putting their water in BETTER BOTTLES now complete with the betterbottle symbol on their bottles...That at least one brewer on here has discovered that the betterbottle he bought at the LHBS was actually one from the water bottling line, and that since last summer, even more plastic water bottle mfgrs are coming out with the same type of water bottles as our beloved better bottles, and we will begin seeing more and more of them in the market place...

SO any of those OLD arguments about plastic water bottles, is becoming old info and should stop being promulgating in the homebrewing community, because the times they are a changing, and with a steely eye, to our benefit...

Quick Reply