Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary fermenter options...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Shue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary fermenter options...

I'm brand spanking new to this homebrew business and have been looking for an alternative to plastic as the primary fermenter. The size of a homebrew kit is 23L (same size as the largest carboy available). After an exhaustive search on the net I found stainless steel fermenters in the UK that would only cost and arm and a leg. Maybe a demijohn? Will the extra SA:volume ratio throw off the fermentation process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shue View Post
I'm brand spanking new to this homebrew business and have been looking for an alternative to plastic as the primary fermenter. The size of a homebrew kit is 23L (same size as the largest carboy available). After an exhaustive search on the net I found stainless steel fermenters in the UK that would only cost and arm and a leg. Maybe a demijohn? Will the extra SA:volume ratio throw off the fermentation process?
Glass or plastic carboy (work well) or bucket (works OK.) SA:volume shouldn't be a big deal; I've noticed no difference moving from plastic buckets to 5 gallon carboys/6 gallon better bottles/7 gallon glass carboys.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think if you are going to glass or better bottle you either get one of the bigger carboys, for headroom for krausen (6 or 7 gal), or go with a 5 gal carboy and a wide-mouth blowoff tube, and resign yourself to the fact that you're going to be scrubbing a lot of krausen off the top of your carboy.

I did a quick-turnaround ale to fill in a gap in my pipeline a few weeks ago, in a 5 gallon carboy (because all my other vessels were full), with a blowoff tube, and it looked like a fermentation bomb went off in the top of the carboy (I had double-pitched dry yeast to see if it would save me a couple of days, so things got going hot 'n heavy pretty fast).

Nothing a carboy brush and some elbow grease can't fix, though.

I'm sticking with buckets for now because I'd rather carry a 5 gallon bucket down the basement stairs than a full glass carboy, but If you get a harness for your carboy you can haul that sucker all over. I'm probably going to upgrade to glass when my buckets wear out, but for now it's plastic, baby.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use buckets for fermentation of beer, large enough to handle the krausen and easy to clean. Buckets are easier to handle, and I make beer about every other weekend. I have about 20 glass carboys of different sizes, but I need them, for wine, and they're expensive. I only move then two or three times in a year.

One of these days I am going to invest in a conical fermenter or two.

spence

Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
LCTitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am getting ready to start 5 gallon batches soon and really believe that the 6.5 gallon plastic buckets are the way to go. Been reading a ton of material as we are looking to move from Mr. Beer into 5 gallon extract kits and feel the plastic buckets are the easiest to deal with. I will ferment in them for up to four weeks and then if seconday fermentation is needed rack to a plastic BB 5 gallon bottle.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
2lflat4
Recipes 

I just started using a sanke keg as my fermenter. You can use the 1/2 barrel for 10-13 gallons or the 1/6 still for 5 gallons. The diptube needs to be removed which is simple. I use this setup http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/ which fits perfectly in my kegerator which I use for fermentation chamber with temperature control. You can also get a carboy stopper and an airlock for a simpler setup.

Cleaning the keg is the hardest part with this setup. I boil with PBW and might be exploring the homebrew cleaning attachments for drills.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on plastic buckets. They are just plain easy to use as a primary.

Quick Reply