Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary fermenter leaking, transferred to bottling bucket and back to primary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
sethP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary fermenter leaking, transferred to bottling bucket and back to primary...

This is my third batch and I'm kinda worried. Brewing Northern Brewers Bavarian Hefe and everything went great up until pouring my cooled wort into my primary. Before I pitched the yeast I noticed a small leak from the spigot. I'm using a swamp cooler and was worried about the swamp cooler water and wort getting mixed up (even though it's sanitized).

I poured the 5 gallons into my bottling bucket (sanitized) swapped the o-rings, and transferred back to my primary and the leak is gone, pitched the yeast, but I'm kinda worried about all of that transferring. I'm very confident about everything being sanitized.

What would you have done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Perfect! You have added oxygen to the wort just before pitching your yeast. That's exactly what it needs.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

should be anything wrong with that if it was all sanitized. I had a leak from the spigot in my bottling bucket, its trying to mash up something flat on to something round. Ive found that pulling the spigot out, and moving the 2nd washer from the inside of the bucket to the outside of the bucket and doubling up on the outside gives me the best seal

Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
scottedk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea, it probably increased the likelihood for spoilage but it sounds like you did everything correct (sanitizing, etc...) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This is how I aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, pouring a few times from bucket to bucket. As long as everything was sanitized, sounds like you only helped it

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Last edited by Wreck99; 02-26-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
sethP
Recipes 

Well, I've got bubbles coming thru my fermentation indicator so we'll see how it turns out

Quick Reply