Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > primary fermentation temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
donshizzles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default primary fermentation temp

If I'm doing the primary in an ale pail whats the best way to keep the temp at a steady 70 degrees?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Put the fermentor in a room that has a relatively stable temp that is close to the temp you want to ferment at. If the temp is too high then you can put the pail in a water bath, put a wet towel/shirt on the pail, and even direct a fan at the wet towel/shirt.... If the temp is too low...sadly I don't know what to tell you as I haven't experienced that yet.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I used a water bath and aquarium heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshizzles View Post
If I'm doing the primary in an ale pail whats the best way to keep the temp at a steady 70 degrees?
I put my plastic bucket fermenter outside in an old, cleaned out trashcan. Then I add water to the trashcan till it comes almost up to the level of the wort inside the bucket. Finally, I suspend an old aquarium heater into the water bath and set it for 70F. I checked it after work and every morning and it never deviated from 70 in spite of overnight air temperatures in the 40s.

Quick Reply