The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
sublevel007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Primary fermentation question

Good evening everyone first time posting, brewed my first batch (5 gal) on 1/21/13 of some Belgian Saion (brewers best kit). My OG was supposed to be between 1.048 to 1.052 and it ended up coming in low at 1.044. The FG is supposed to be between 1.011 to 1.015. I checked it yesterday for the first time as I haven't seen any bubbles in two days so first when I opened it I thought I had mold on top but everyone is telling me yeast rafts and that I'm good. However I took a FG reading and it is at 1.003 which seems real low. Did I ruin this and also how long should I leave it in the primary (plastic) bucket. I don't have a secondary either. Let me know what u guys think. Also the smell was more of a stale beer like when leaving a ball park after the morning tailgating crew. Also seems clouded will this clear itself up. I'm hoping I didn't screw it up as once this is done I picked up a Falconers Flight IPA kit that I'm dying to brew based on the smell of the hops alone

image-1417074650.jpg   image-3512231162.jpg   image-644216785.jpg   image-3185915163.jpg   image-484860071.jpg  

image-1736077592.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 458

At 1.003 I'd bet it is done. It will probably have a bit of a dry mouth feel.

Does it smell like beer?

The real test is check the specific gravity, wait three days an check it again. If it doesn't change it should be done fermenting.

I bucket ferment too. I don't like to go more than 10 days in the bucket. If the kit called for 1.011, that would make even more likely to cap it.

Are you bottling or kegging?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
sublevel007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah it smells like beer but like and old stale beer like when I was a kid leaving the old municipal stadium in Cleveland after and Indians game. Ill check it again tomorrow or the day after.

I will be bottling as my buddy got me a few cases front the bar he manages. I got my Oxy clean free so I need to start boiling these bottles to get the labels off an the. Sanitized so they are ready for beer

Thanks for the info it is all appreciated

Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

it's a saison, they're known for going really low in gravity. do you remember what kind of yeast came in that kit? what temperature did you ferment at? (and was that room temp, or beer temp?)

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
sublevel007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't remember the yeast that came with it. Temp on buck was about 66

Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
nealizm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Grains used?If just base malts were used it probly doesn't have a lot of unfermentables.Get a spiral for all your recipes kit or your own creation,when you make the masterpeice you will remember how.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
sublevel007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I guess not writing down is my rookie mistake. It did have about two lbs if grains I had to steep to convert the starches to sugars. My second mistake was that the pot I got was very how you say, crappy so the bottom would flex on me while we were brewing during the steeping process due to the pot flexing the center water got much warmer than it was supposed to. It got to about 190 when it wasn't supposed to go over 155

Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
sublevel007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Never brewing on an electric cooktop stove again, going on amazon today to get a outdoor propane burner

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As stated earlier at 1.003 you are most likely done fermenting. Check gravity again in a few days if no change you're good to bottle/rack. I think you only finished with low FG due to not hitting your OG. Just my .02 if I'm wrong I'll be corrected shorty.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublevel007 View Post
It did have about two lbs if grains I had to steep to convert the starches to sugars.
fyi, steeping doesn't convert, you need to mash to convert. so either you had crystal/caramel grains that needed to be steeped (sugars already converted, you are just soaking them out); or you had base grains such as 2-row or pilsener that needed to be mashed (held at 155*F for 45-60 minutes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
I think you only finished with low FG due to not hitting your OG.
very good point, hadn't thought of that... sublevel007, any change you over-diluted the extract, or didn't get it all out of the can? if the grains where meant to be mashed and you only steeped them, you would be short on sugars.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Quick Reply