Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary fermentation done

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
bluefoxicy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Primary fermentation done

Primary is done I think. Haven't hygrometer'd it. It stopped bubbling and started sucking bubbles inward instead. There's like 2 inches of whatever this junk at the bottom is called. Turb or turd or something.

I guess the next step is to get the secondary vessel, turn this glass carboy into a pretend conical by tipping it up on its corner for a little while, and rack into the secondary for a couple weeks.

What do I do with the crud? Can I dump that down the toilet or should I strain it and chuck it in the trash, or should I soak it in oxiclean to liquify it or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
golfguy819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just spray hot water into my primary and down the drain it goes.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

1) Bubbling is not an indication of fermentation; take hydrometer readings on consecutive days, if the reading remains unchanged, fermentation is done.

2) Not sure why you would tip the fermenter. Just get an autosiphon to rack the beer to the secondary.

3) Just use warm water to rinse the trub out of the fermenter and pour down the drain, it will not hurt anything. Then clean the carboy with oxyclean to get off any stuck crud.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

+1 on hydrometer readings...every once in a while it will surprise me and not be totally done. As for the trub in the bottom- a little warm water and oxyclean will go a long way... you really really need to get a hydrometer because in the end theres no other way to tell if its done

Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
Primary is done I think. Haven't hygrometer'd it. It stopped bubbling and started sucking bubbles inward instead. There's like 2 inches of whatever this junk at the bottom is called. Turb or turd or something.

I guess the next step is to get the secondary vessel, turn this glass carboy into a pretend conical by tipping it up on its corner for a little while, and rack into the secondary for a couple weeks.

What do I do with the crud? Can I dump that down the toilet or should I strain it and chuck it in the trash, or should I soak it in oxiclean to liquify it or what?
It seems like youve done a little reading so this seems like a funny question to me. So your question is what to do with the garbage? Pour it down the drain.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+3 If you let your beer sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks, you will be surprised at how much better it will taste, instead of immediately racking when its "done".

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
bluefoxicy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
+3 If you let your beer sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks, you will be surprised at how much better it will taste, instead of immediately racking when its "done".
Alright, someone gave me the 1-2-3 rule but I guess I'll leave it in there a bit longer. It's been in for about a week as of Sunday.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
Alright, someone gave me the 1-2-3 rule but I guess I'll leave it in there a bit longer. It's been in for about a week as of Sunday.
Unless your dryhopping you can do the 3-3 rule, 3weeks in primary and 3weeks in the bottle, a lot less hassle than messing with a secondary, and you beer will benefit.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
istr810m
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Can I use my corny keg as the "secondary" fermenter since I want to free up my primary for a new brew? And if yes, does fermentation have to be done prior to entry into the secondary?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Yes,the beer should always be at a stable Fg before racking. Otherwise,it could stall.

Quick Reply