Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary in bedroom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
dest149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary in bedroom

Hmm, so I am thinking of where I can leave my primary, I have a very limited set of options. I was wondering if I could leave my primary in my room, or if that would be too annoying/loud with the bubbling going on for 3 days straight? I have a roomate, and my gf lives with me so its a little tough. I have a big walk in closet however it is currently full of clothes, and temperature changes worry me when the door is closed, not to mention it is right next to the bed anyways, other that that, it would have to be left in the living room which i suppose is fine... I just wanted to keep my fan (swamp cooler) in my room cause I use it at night. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Barkingshins
Recipes 

If you want a successful fermentation and a good end-product, priority #1 should be locating the fermenter in an environment with a stable temp that is within your yeast's temperature range: ~65º - 70ºF for most ale yeasts. Sorry to be Captain Obvious but I'm not sure what else to tell you. Hopefully you have some kind of A/C going on there. Miami's 80º+ temps this time of year are way too warm for any yeast that I have ever dealt with.

Good luck to ya'.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I keep mine in my office (home office) and find just the opposite problem you state. I actually like the tap tap tap of the bubbler, it's soothing. I'd keep it in your bedroom if you can keep temp best there. Any noise it makes is just that sweet sound of your beer making itself all nice for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To add to what's already been said - I'd be much more concerned with the temperature than the noise. Even if you keep your bedroom at 70°F, the fermentation activity will easily increase the beer temp to 73-75° and maybe even higher. This is really too warm for most non-Belgian yeasts and you would likely end up with some off-flavors and fusel alcohols. I know it's not always possible and/or easy, but you should try to keep the beer temps (not the ambient air) down in the 60's.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
casperjah
Recipes 

I keep mine in the sitting room behind the couch. My problem is the kids pulling out the airlock. Temp wide it works, but can be cold in winter so then I wrap a blanket around it and pitch yeast when its still warm so it gets going quickly. Might invest in s brewbelt though as getting FG down on winter can be hard. Tried hotpress but too warm.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
DynamechGT
Recipes 

Mines in the bedroom closet right now. However, this closet has one exterior wall and one garage wall so with cooler outside temps my fermentation temperature has been maxing out at 72F but ususally stays at 70F or below. I can't hear it at all. I would probably forget it was there if I didn't check it several times a day.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Make sure you have a dog, so that you can blame him/her, for the occasional sulfury emissions.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

When I started brewing in 1990 I put the primary into a closet in my university apartment. Then I learned about strong primary fermentation and the need for a blow-off tube - the hard way.

Make sure you have a means of protecting your closet/bedroom/etc so you don't end up with a permanent stale beer stench.

Brent

Old 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
When I started brewing in 1990 I put the primary into a closet in my university apartment. Then I learned about strong primary fermentation and the need for a blow-off tube - the hard way.

Make sure you have a means of protecting your closet/bedroom/etc so you don't end up with a permanent stale beer stench.

Brent
+1
An excellent point that definitely needed to be raised

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
Hmm, so I am thinking of where I can leave my primary, I have a very limited set of options. I was wondering if I could leave my primary in my room, or if that would be too annoying/loud with the bubbling going on for 3 days straight? I have a roomate, and my gf lives with me so its a little tough. I have a big walk in closet however it is currently full of clothes, and temperature changes worry me when the door is closed, not to mention it is right next to the bed anyways, other that that, it would have to be left in the living room which i suppose is fine... I just wanted to keep my fan (swamp cooler) in my room cause I use it at night. Any thoughts?
You do know the offgas from brewing beer is an aphrodisiac, Dont you? I had to move mine to the basement because SWMBO wouldn't let me get ANY sleep!!!

Quick Reply