Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary in 5 gallon glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
plumber8302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Primary in 5 gallon glass carboy

I am new to brewing and just received my starter kit today. While I am excited to start brewing, my plastic primary bucket did not come with a hole drilled in it for the air lock. My stoppers for the glass carboys did not come drilled either. My question is, can I just drill a hole in my stopper and use a glass carboy for my primary fermentation or should I just wait for the correct pieces to come. This will be my first batch and I don't want to mess it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
BleacherBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If its a 5 gallon batch if wait because the carboy won't have enough head room. You would need a 6.5 gallon carboy to use as a primary for a 5 gallon batch.

Follow us on Twitter @JChalifour & @JennieOhMy
Like My blog The Would-be Brewmaster on Facebook
Friend us on Untappd JChalifour & JennieOhMy

Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 318

No you shouldn't. You definitly don't want to drill the stopper, you don't have the right kind of drill for that. No you shouldn't wait for the right pieces either. Make your beer, put it in the bucket and set the lid on top, leaving it loose. As soon as your yeast get started they will be producing CO2 and it needs to get out. Nothing is likely to get in while the CO2 is coming out unless you have a dog or a goat. Keep those animals away from it.

When the drilled lid arrives with its grommet in place, push the airlock into the grommet, sanitize the new lid, and replace the loose one with the new, snapping it down tight.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
plumber8302
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick answers! I just found this site and this is why I love it. I am really eager to get started, but I do have a large dog and a nosy cat and I will probably just resist the urge and wait for the right lid. I never thought about the size of the carboy either. Thank both of you for information!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I used to put saran wrap as a seal over the bucket and pricked a small hole in the saran wrap with the tine from a sterilized fork and then put the lid overtop of that. Never had a problem.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
rpacecar
Recipes 

In regards to needing 6 1/2 gal carboy for primary fermenter, you can get away with a 5.5. I just got done brewing on Monday with the kids and used one so they can see the yeast at work. I used a blowoff. I'd probably do the bucket with lid on for your situation as was mentioned, but give the carboy a chance when you get a good stopper, airlock, and hose for the blowoff

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
plumber8302
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm sold! I'm excited to brew my first batch. So, just one small hole in the Saran Wrap and loosely lay the lid on top until the right one shows up? They said it would ship immediately so I'm hoping to get it by the end of next week. I plan on brewing Sunday. That's not too long without the tight seal?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
TroyMorgan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As was stated earlier, the co2 from your yeast will protect your brew. Your major concern by doing it this way is dust particles or similar "stuff" falling into your brew. The Saran (sp?) should help protect against this but be careful not to contaminate your wrap before putting it on. Also, make sure your animals don't get into your yeast or yeast cake once you transfer. Obviously your brew is ruined, but yeast will kill your pets if consumed (at least that's what I have read on numerous threads).

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyMorgan View Post
As was stated earlier, the co2 from your yeast will protect your brew. Your major concern by doing it this way is dust particles or similar "stuff" falling into your brew. The Saran (sp?) should help protect against this but be careful not to contaminate your wrap before putting it on. Also, make sure your animals don't get into your yeast or yeast cake once you transfer. Obviously your brew is ruined, but yeast will kill your pets if consumed (at least that's what I have read on numerous threads).
It's not the yeast, its the hops.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
PaulVikingAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck on your first brew day. There is a lot to learn so keep reading on this site as well as other sites. If I can give you any advice for your first brew day, without overwhelming you, do what you can to keep your wort on the cooler side when you pitch your yeast. If the temperature is too high you will end up with fusel alcohols and off-flavors. This is most important during the first few days of primary fermentation, 3-5 days after you pitch. The other is sanitation. Poor sanitation can result in infections and ruin your beer. StarSan is a popular sanitizer as it is contact approved meaning you can clean with it and it can touch your beer without harming you. Just read the dilution directions. If you can manage both of those things then you are well on your way to brewing a good first batch. Good Luck!!!!

Yeast guy at VikingAles www.vikingales.com

Quick Reply