Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Prices off at my LHB? Don't seem to be much savings DIY recipes???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default Prices off at my LHB? Don't seem to be much savings DIY recipes???

So I looked on here and picked out a couple extract recipes that I was sure my LHB had on hand and figured instead of buying a kit I would save some $ and buy all the ingredients seperately myself. Well I got there and started pricing the ingredients out I was coming very close to the kits price. So I just went with buying another kit figured all the measuring and weighing is done for me and it even comes with a steeping bag, caps and bottling sugar.

Is my LHB prices just ridiculous or are there really not much of a savings if you buy the ingredients seperately?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are no real savings to doing individual recipes over kits. The kits come mass manufactured, pre packaged, and introductory beginner priced.

You can save doing extract by buying in bulk (hops + DME). All grain really brings that down, and buying all grain in bulk REALLY brings that down.

Remember though, support your LHBS! Buying online and bulk through Country Malts takes good sales away from your store...and some day he may not be there anymore if he doesn't make his sales.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

There's no savings until you start buying in bulk and the real savings start after you've purchased a grain mill. I've been brewing 10 years and other than hops, I buy the makings one batch at a time. I keep some packets of dry yeast in the fridge. It's a wash between the NLHBS and online for me.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The biggest savings I've been able to manage is ordering hops in bulk online. You can buy 1lb+ of hops and put the rest of the recipe together locally and save a good amount of money, especially if you like to brew hoppy PA/IPAs.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Bulk or all grain is not really an option for me so i guess I will just stick with the kits.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so far my brews been averaging about 75$ per 10g batch (kits and non). I just bought a 33lb. growler of lme for 75$ and some grains in bulk which should bring that number down. also my buddys hop garden did really well this year. we have centenial, cascade, chinook and nugget and will hopefully yeild about 5lbs. each. been spending more time trying to bring down the cost of beer rather than perfecting it

Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

As other said, all-grain is where the savings happen. Also, if you like the big beers, (Tripels, barleywine, etc.) you will save a lot of money compared to commercially available types.

IMO, extract brewing tastes better than microbrew, but it's not a whole lot cheaper.

Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
so far my brews been averaging about 75$ per 10g batch (kits and non). I just bought a 33lb. growler of lme for 75$ and some grains in bulk which should bring that number down. also my buddys hop garden did really well this year. we have centenial, cascade, chinook and nugget and will hopefully yeild about 5lbs. each. been spending more time trying to bring down the cost of beer rather than perfecting it
That is alot of $$ Now that I'm all grain I just brewed 10 gallons of a 6% porter and my cost was right around $40. I jumped in on 2 group buys thorugh the forum, the first I spent $60 on 110 lbs of grain(Marris Otter $ CMC 2-Row) The next one I got 275 lbs of random grains for $160. Also like stated above buy hops in bulk and that will help. I usually use dry yeast unless there is a need for something special. Gettin away from LME/DME is the best way to reduce costs

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Locally kits by me are expensive. I extract brew, and when I go in and buy what I need for a recipe I see a huge savings. This is true using LME or DME with steeping grains. This is compared to Ture Brew and Brewers Best kits.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I spend like $50 for a 5 gal batch. That includes yeast and such...but I do extract/parial mash brews. I also shoot for higher OG's, so that's a factor too.

Still its a huge saving rather than buying two cases of similar quality beer!

Quick Reply