New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pretty sure I racked too early, should I extend my secondary time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Rook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pretty sure I racked too early, should I extend my secondary time?

I think I followed 1-2-3 too closely, instead of waiting until fermentation was complete in my latest brew, EdWort's Haus Ale.

OG on the brew was 1.061, and I was using nottingham dry yeast on it. The initial fermentation was vigorous, the fastest I've seen, ~5 bubbles per second. On day 3 it was already down to 45 seconds between bubbles, so I figured by day 7 it was ready to go.

I brought my pale downstairs, sanitized everything, took the lid off and there were lots of floaties on the beer. ZERO bubbles, just floating scum of some sort. The trub seemed to be about 3/4" at the bottom of the pale. I left about a total of 1.25" in the bottom.

The reason I think I racked too early is that I checked my SG and it was about 1.021, a little higher than I think it probably should be. My mistake was not checking the SG before racking, only afterwards. could all of the disturbed sediment have artificially upped my SG?

Should I take another SG reading in 2 weeks and see what happens? Think there's enough yeast left to finish the fermentation?

Thanks for the help guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't worry at all. Plenty of yeast to finish I am guessing. The sediment shouldn't change your SG as it is not in solution. Check it again next week. You are roughly %65 attenuated as it stands. The rest will eek out over the next week.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Racking will often rouse the yeast so it might be a good thing you racked when you did as now the yeasties will wake back up and finish the ferment.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, I hope thats the case. I meant to check my airlock for bubbling this morning, I'll see how it is tonight, 28ish hours after racking.

I might give it 3 weeks in the secondary anyway, just to be sure that its all done.

Quick Reply