The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pressure in keg keeps rising

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
HookUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I'd suspect your beer is overcarbed
Me too. Bleed off the excess carbonation each day & read what the preassure is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #22
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well here is what happened....

As previously stated, overnight with all valves turned off the reg gauge was reading 10psi this morning. I turned the bottle on before work, but left the reg valve off, and after work it was reading 25 psi.

I'm thinking regulator but am not sure. In fact thinking back to the first beer I had in there last month when it was all new, it did the same thing. I didn't notice as it was a a high carbed hefe, but remember it rising daily. Think I'm going to call the vendor and see if they can do anything about it.

Look like regulator to anyone else?

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #23
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I remember a while ago there was a bunch of regs from a supplier that all had the same issue of slow creep. The problem was put down to crud in the poppet valve which stopped it from completly closing. They had a generic email rsponse for anyone that asked on the issue which detailed the cleaning procedure (and i think it was posted here too). From memory all that had the problematic regs found the cleaning worked.
I'll see if I have time later to search for it on HBT

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #24
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I"d suspect it was overcarbed beer. Hard to tell since you opened the bottle and it continued to rise over the course of the day. I'd suspect that the beer was overcarbed to begin with, and you are dropping it to serving pressure.

Does the beer foam when you serve it?

Raising it up to 25, makes sense if you carbed it at 30 and it became over carbed.

Turn the gas off for a whole day and bleed the keg till it reads 0, or close to it on the reg. Leave it be for the whole day till you come home from work. See what it says then, and write it down. Whatever it is, bleed it, and do it again for another day... That will let you know for sure without having to do a whole lot of work.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #25
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I"d suspect it was overcarbed beer. Hard to tell since you opened the bottle and it continued to rise over the course of the day. I'd suspect that the beer was overcarbed to begin with, and you are dropping it to serving pressure.

Does the beer foam when you serve it?

Raising it up to 25, makes sense if you carbed it at 30 and it became over carbed.

Turn the gas off for a whole day and bleed the keg till it reads 0, or close to it on the reg. Leave it be for the whole day till you come home from work. See what it says then, and write it down. Whatever it is, bleed it, and do it again for another day... That will let you know for sure without having to do a whole lot of work.
I'll give it a try, just curious why the other reg isn't doing this. I carbed both kegs the same, and it's holding the lower pressure perfectly.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
Sacreddog717
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Check out this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-d...n-am-i-217284/. It worked for me and was easy.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #27
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 111

can you swap out the CO2 lines on the kegs? If it still creeps it probably the regulator. If it doesn't and the other gauge does it is overcarbed.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #28
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacreddog717 View Post
Same thing happened to me. Check out this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-d...n-am-i-217284/. It worked for me and was easy.
Thanks for the link! I just did the steps in that thread and set it to 10 psi, I'll check it in a few to see if it worked.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #29
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
can you swap out the CO2 lines on the kegs? If it still creeps it probably the regulator. If it doesn't and the other gauge does it is overcarbed.
That will be my next step, thought about doing that earlier.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #30
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
Thanks for the link! I just did the steps in that thread and set it to 10 psi, I'll check it in a few to see if it worked.
It was up to 12 after 20 mins, so I did the steps again. Going to check it in the morning.

Quick Reply