Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pressure in keg keeps rising

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
The HP gauge is the one with the higher pressure read out. It is your gauge for your tank pressure, the one with the red on it.

The LP gauge is the one reading out the keg pressure.

I'd suspect your beer is overcarbed. My IPA is doing the same thing. I put it at 30 for 2 days, and turned down to 10/11 PSI, and for the last week, has acted like it wants to creep a little. I just purge the keg of pressure, and make sure the reg is set at what I want it, and leave it be.

I put a breakfast stout online yesterday evening at 7/8psi, and left it be. Gonna wait on it anyways, so no need to rush it. It hasn't moved.
Ok thanks, that makes sense. I originally was thinking over-carbed, but with the other tank doing right it had me concerned. I have all valves off and all gauges are at 0 right now, so I'll see what I have by morning.

I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal out of it than what it really is.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
Beer_is_good_for_you
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Did it actually fix the problem or did it just hide it since the pressure could no longer "get" to the gauge?
The beer was shooting out of the taps and was extremely foamy before I installed the valves, since then (3 or 4 kegs) I haven't had a problem and the gauge hasn't moved off 8 PSI.

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live on nothing but food and water." W.C. Fields

Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you have pressure with the regs off, chances are you've got pressure coming back from the kegs, giving you a reading of the pressure in the keg, not really what it's putting out. The regulator should hiss when you move it up to whatever pressure, and then slow and stop the flow of gas when it reaches that point.

Say you set it at 20, it'll move till it gets to 20, then stop. If the keg was over carbed to 30, and you have it on 20, then the keg has more pressure that you are allowing the bottle to put to it. It won't equalize unless you release the keg pressure to under 20, at which you should hear the reg hiss and push the gas till it reaches 20psi.

Turn the gas off for the night, turn the regulators down, and leave them hooked to the kegs and see what you have in the morning.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
Gregwarro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing I would chime in on. It doesnt look like you have any check valves. Carbing the way you do can cause the beer to foam up when taking your pressure down. Regulators will off gas excess pressure. That can cause foam to come back up the CO2 line and into your regulator. This is bad and can ruin your reg, if you have a bad regulator this might be why. Sanke taps have these built in but Corny kegs do not.

example:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/gas-equipment-pid-1600CAB.html

Fermenting: Russian Imperial Oat Stout "Cosmonaut"
Bottled: Apfelwien, Holidaay Porter
Kegged: IPA, Holiday Porter
Coming Soon: Apfelwien, Holiday Porter

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #15
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregwarro View Post
One thing I would chime in on. It doesnt look like you have any check valves. Carbing the way you do can cause the beer to foam up when taking your pressure down. Regulators will off gas excess pressure. That can cause foam to come back up the CO2 line and into your regulator. This is bad and can ruin your reg, if you have a bad regulator this might be why. Sanke taps have these built in but Corny kegs do not.

example:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/gas-equipment-pid-1600CAB.html
When I removed the keg lid tonight the beer was indeed foamed, but this is only the 2nd time using this system. Still a possibility of damaging the reg?

Would you recommend just setting at serving pressure with this system?
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
Gregwarro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, regulators are not made for liquid. Then you take sticky beer and put it in there you are asking for trouble.

Your regulator could be just fine. but if you are going to carb that way I would definitely recommend a check valve. If you dont want to risk it, I wouldn't (regs are expensive) Just carb at serving psi and give it a week.

Check valves are cheap10-12 bucks a piece. geta few then continue on. Chances are that your LHBS has them.

Fermenting: Russian Imperial Oat Stout "Cosmonaut"
Bottled: Apfelwien, Holidaay Porter
Kegged: IPA, Holiday Porter
Coming Soon: Apfelwien, Holiday Porter

Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Joed15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My CO2 tank is not connected to any kegs at the moment, gas is off at the cylinder and at the line from the regulator to the gas quick connect. I also see the pressure rising on the regulator and suspect that it is a result of the CO2 warming up to a temper higher than the CO2 was at (in the regulator) the last time I used it. Heat causes gases to expand and with nowhere to go it causes the pressure rise, which I would guess is what you are seeing.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could be a bit of crud in your regulator causing it to not seal properly and thus leak a little CO2. Had a similar problem last year. Disassembled and cleaned the regulator -- all better. Most regulators for relatively low pressure use like this are quite simple and do no require special tools.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

FYI,

Regulator issues, and over carbed beer aside. Your regulator system according to an e-mail I just got from Midwest, does indeed have check valves after the regulators. I thought they did, I have the same regulator set up as well. They are there to keep the back flow of fluid from the regulator. They just don't have the integrated on/off attached to them like the model linked above.

I'd rule out that issue, unless one is stuck open with crud.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It had risen to 10psi overnight with all valves off. I turn the bottle back on this morning but left the reg valve off. I'll see what it is after work tonight.

Quick Reply