Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pressure in keg keeps rising

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Pressure in keg keeps rising

Ok, so I kegged two beers this last weekend (an IPA and a Kolsch). I initially set both kegs at 30 psi for about 24 hrs, then dropped the IPA to 8 psi, and the Kolsch to 12 psi. The Kolsch is holding steady at 12 psi for the last 48 hrs, however the IPA keeps gradually rising back up to 30psi. I released all the pressure in the keg, set back to 8 psi, then a few hrs later it's back up to 30.

I took the top off tonight just to look inside and the kegged beer has a head, is this normal? I put the lid back on, took it to 8 psi, released it to remove any O2, then turned off the gas completely. A few hrs later...30 psi, anyone have any recommendations to get it to remain at my desired 8 psi?

Thanks!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Beer_is_good_for_you
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Do you have check valves? I had the same issue until I put a small check valve in each gas line, and that fixed it.

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live on nothing but food and water." W.C. Fields

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It has individual release valves on each line at the regulator, is that what you are meanng?

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
kcscholl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught
Ok, so I kegged two beers this last weekend (an IPA and a Kolsch). I initially set both kegs at 30 psi for about 24 hrs, then dropped the IPA to 8 psi, and the Kolsch to 12 psi. The Kolsch is holding steady at 12 psi for the last 48 hrs, however the IPA keeps gradually rising back up to 30psi. I released all the pressure in the keg, set back to 8 psi, then a few hrs later it's back up to 30.

I took the top off tonight just to look inside and the kegged beer has a head, is this normal? I put the lid back on, took it to 8 psi, released it to remove any O2, then turned off the gas completely. A few hrs later...30 psi, anyone have any recommendations to get it to remain at my desired 8 psi?

Thanks!
What was your final gravity? Are you sure it was completely fermented out? Sounds like you may still be producing CO2 and building pressure or it could be a problem with your gas system regulator.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It was 1.012 and solid for days. I'm curious if it's some thing with the regulator too. Could it still be the regulator if I turn the gas off and it still rises?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_is_good_for_you View Post
Do you have check valves? I had the same issue until I put a small check valve in each gas line, and that fixed it.
Did it actually fix the problem or did it just hide it since the pressure could no longer "get" to the gauge?
Sounds like the beer might be overcarb'd and off gassing the extra CO2 that won't stay in solution at the lower pressure. It is weird that it is getting back up to 30 PSI though. Just thinking about it I based the above on the fact that bottle was turned off, but there would still be a bit of high pressure CO2 in the HP side of the reg that could bump it back up.

Can you try (to eliminate or confirm the leaking reg) now that the keg is purged, turn the bottle off and drop the pressure in the IPA keg to 0 PSI. Both the LP gauge and HP gaige should be reading 0 PSI now. Check to see if the LP gauge rises.
If it does your beer is overcarb'd and off gassing,
If it doesn't you regulator is sticking and slowly letting CO2 past.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
kcscholl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught
It was 1.012 and solid for days. I'm curious if it's some thing with the regulator too. Could it still be the regulator if I turn the gas off and it still rises?
Well the pressure has to come from somewhere. Either the beer or the CO2 cylinder. If the FG is stable then it has to be coming from the gas. And as fast as it is rising, it sounds like you have a faulty regulator.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Did it actually fix the problem or did it just hide it since the pressure could no longer "get" to the gauge?
Sounds like the beer might be overcarb'd and off gassing the extra CO2 that won't stay in solution at the lower pressure. It is weird that it is getting back up to 30 PSI though. Just thinking about it I based the above on the fact that bottle was turned off, but there would still be a bit of high pressure CO2 in the HP side of the reg that could bump it back up.

Can you try (to eliminate or confirm the leaking reg) now that the keg is purged, turn the bottle off and drop the pressure in the IPA keg to 0 PSI. Both the LP gauge and HP gaige should be reading 0 PSI now. Check to see if the LP gauge rises.
If it does your beer is overcarb'd and off gassing,
If it doesn't you regulator is sticking and slowly letting CO2 past.
This is what I use. The left regulator is the IPA, the keg is purged and the reg valve is off, and you can see it is already to 10 after 30 mins or so.

Im going to try you advice and I close the co2 tank valve, and purge the keg. Which gauge is the HP and LP?

forumrunner_20120730_214945.jpg

Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok so I'm assuming the HP gauge is the tank gauge, then the other 2 or LP gauges?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The HP gauge is the one with the higher pressure read out. It is your gauge for your tank pressure, the one with the red on it.

The LP gauge is the one reading out the keg pressure.

I'd suspect your beer is overcarbed. My IPA is doing the same thing. I put it at 30 for 2 days, and turned down to 10/11 PSI, and for the last week, has acted like it wants to creep a little. I just purge the keg of pressure, and make sure the reg is set at what I want it, and leave it be.

I put a breakfast stout online yesterday evening at 7/8psi, and left it be. Gonna wait on it anyways, so no need to rush it. It hasn't moved.

Quick Reply