Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pressure build up in Ferementation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
nocsimian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Pressure build up in Ferementation chamber

So I got to thinking this morning and while I don't think there's an issue, I figured I'd ask the more experienced.

I just converted a chest freezer to a fermentation chamber. Does a great job of maintaining temperature and is rarely on. The only negative thing is that I need to buy more carboys to fill it now (17+ cu ft). And while as a newbie I like to lift the lid for a bit and look at the airlock bubbling away and the look of the krausen, I often get a good whiff of CO2. That burning sensation in the nose that lets you know fermentation is occurring.

So....has anyone ever have a fermentation chamber blow a seal/gasket/lid due to CO2 build up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I run an external controller and the wire goes between the gasket and the collar so there is a little gap on either side of the wire to "vent". I also think there will be enough "leaks" to let the pressure vent around my collar and faucets (it an old keezer).

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thats an interesting question. Im Fermenting just one 6 gal carboy of Hefe in mine right now. I tell ya if I stick my head down in their to look at it I have to hold my breath. Not cause it smells bad but because I get out of breath lol. Maybe its in my head. Co2 is 1.5x as dense as air so I dont think it should be much of a problem. Especially if you like to take a peek now and again lol

Quick Reply