New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pressure barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
alifreddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pressure barrels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought 2 barrels with c02 pins but want to try one with normal cap how long will it keep beer fizzy for

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

As long as you don't drink any. Once you tap it, CO2 comes out of the beer to fill the headspace making the rest of the beer a little flatter. Towards the end, it's really flat. The CO2 connector helps maintain pressure.

For some styles, the low carbonation isn't a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I used to use pressure barrels, and found they were excellent for low carbonated beers like Bitters. The CO2 cartridges kept the carbonation consistent. If you don't use the CO2, as David said, the beer will get flatter, and as you can probably drink faster than the CO2 comes out of solution, you will end up with a partial vacuum in the barrel which will prevent you from drawing off more beer unless you release the vacuum by letting air in. That is like pouring a glass of beer, and then leaving it for several days before drinking it.
As for keeping beer "fizzy", I never tried it, so I don't know how well it would work.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply