Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Preparing for my first brew, questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
shok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Preparing for my first brew, questions!

Ok I have been slowly gathering all that I will need to try my first brew.

I want to make a nice amber ale, maybe with a hint of citrus or fruit to it.

So I chose my extract:
Bierkeller Malt Extract Amber.
Now this is unhopped, so I need to buy hops.
Someone please recommend a hop for me and also when to use it.

I would assume that during the boil I would add the hops, actually near the end....how much hops?

Also when to add the fruit....also in the boil?

I plan on bottling from the fermenting bucket directly, do I need a filter or anything?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

With the hop shortage you'll have to just see what's available from the place where you want to purchase your hops.

As far as a hop schedule goes just go to the Recipe/Ingredience section and see if you can find a beer you'd like in the Recipe locator Sticky and follow that schedule.

With all grain the schedule is 60 minutes for bittering hops, 30 minutes for flavoring hops and 15 minutes for aroma hops then some folks also add hops to the fermenter (called dry Hopping). I don't really know how that would translate if you are only doing a partial boil.

Doing extract I'd think there would be no need for any filtration. But I've never done an extract I started by doing All Grain. So I'll leave it to someone else to advise you there too.

Last edited by abracadabra; 01-03-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You do add the hops during the boil, but how much you add depends on how much beer you are making and how much water you are boiling (and how hoppy you want the beer).

A couple of questions:

Is it 3.3 lbs of extract?
How many gallons of beer are you planning to make?
How much of the water are you going to boil the extract in.
What type of beers do you prefer? I.e., what are you shooting for?

Typically, the extract comes in 3.3 lbs but you would probably want more extract for a (typical) five-gallon batch.

As an aside, I'd leave out the fruit in my first batch; when starting out, the simpler the better in my opinion.

Rick

Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you done all the required reading www.howtobrew.com and looked over the wiki? If you have not I strongly recommend your do before you attempt your first brew.

Last edited by Joker; 01-03-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok
Ok I have been slowly gathering all that I will need to try my first brew.

I want to make a nice amber ale, maybe with a hint of citrus or fruit to it.

So I chose my extract:
Bierkeller Malt Extract Amber.
Now this is unhopped, so I need to buy hops.
Someone please recommend a hop for me and also when to use it.

I would assume that during the boil I would add the hops, actually near the end....how much hops?

Also when to add the fruit....also in the boil?

I plan on bottling from the fermenting bucket directly, do I need a filter or anything?

Thanks in advance!

You can but I wouldn't add fruit on your first batch until you get a little more EXP but its totally your call, Usually you add the fruit in the secondary or bottling bucket if your using liquid, and for an amber ale I suggest .25 Oz EK Fuggels and 2 oz EK Goldings if there Available to you.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
shok
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylr
You do add the hops during the boil, but how much you add depends on how much beer you are making and how much water you are boiling (and how hoppy you want the beer).

A couple of questions:

Is it 3.3 lbs of extract?
How many gallons of beer are you planning to make?
How much of the water are you going to boil the extract in.
What type of beers do you prefer? I.e., what are you shooting for?

Typically, the extract comes in 3.3 lbs but you would probably want more extract for a (typical) five-gallon batch.

As an aside, I'd leave out the fruit in my first batch; when starting out, the simpler the better in my opinion.

Rick

It's 3.5lbs and I planned on boiling it in 2 gallons of water with the sugar.
I was shooting for 4.5 - 5 gallons of beer

I really like Ale and Bocks

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Personally I wouldn't recommend designing your own recipe for your first batch. Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, or you lhbs probably have ingredient kits with all the recipe design done for you. AHS and Northern Brewer send their kits with excellent instructions on when to add the different hops and everything. I would STRONGLY recommend you go this route for your first brew.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

You really Need to have about 6 or 7 lbs of LME plus the sugars, please post everything you have and the quantity and it will be easier for everyone to help you.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
jmiracle

Recipes 

Are you planning on fermenting in a bucket with a spigot (since you said your bottling directly from the bucket)? I wouldn't recommend doing that myself, usually you use a fermenter and then transfer to a bottling bucket so you can add the priming sugar without stirring everything back up, plus the spigot adds risk of contamination I would think.

It sounds to me like maybe you don't have all the equipment? If you're not using a homebrewing equipment kit (which has worked great for me, it's never going to be completely obsolete because you'll always need buckets and tubes and such), then you'd need at least one "ale pail" for primary fermentation, another food-grade bucket drilled for a spigot for bottling, some siphon hose, a racking cane, and a bottling wand. You'll also need a no-rinse sanitizer of some kind and a bottle capper.

Also recommending using some kind of kit or preformulated recipe for your first beer. Then you get a success under your belt, boost your confidence, everybody wins!! (especially you)

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

I would leave off the sugar and use more malt extract.

Here is a link to a recipe for a pale ale in John Palmer's How To Brew book:
Cincinnati Pale Ale

Since you have amber liquid malt extract where the recipe calls for pale liquid malt extract, I'd use light dry malt extract instead of amber dry malt extract. If you read the preceding / succeeding chapters in Palmer's online book it will fully explain how to brew that (or any) recipe.

Good luck!

Rick

Quick Reply