Precise Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterk2

Reaction score
OK so I've been bombarding you guys with questions - bare with me...

I will soon be brewing up a batch of an IPA recipe I've come up with, but I'm having issues with the carbonation level. I've brewed this beer before. The first time it was under-carbonated. The second time it was awesome (nice thick head and good lacing) but all I really did was my best guesstimation with the 3/8 corn sugar/5 gals both times. I've read that this is more a rule of thumb than anything.

I'm brewing an DME Extract IPA with some specialty grains.

How can I mathematically achieve my desired carbonation level? I've discovered The Beer Recipator and other useful calculation websites for this, but I don't even know how to measure units of carbonation. Can someone help? Thanks.

This link has more info. Including typical carbonation levels for different styles.

mmm beer

I have had the same issues, I have recently started using a spunding valve and a keg to get exactly the carbonation level I'm shooting for and then bottling from a keg.

Nice! I was going to try to carb my cream stout to style...now I have an idea of where to start.

No problem. It just took a quick Google search. I tried looking at the BJCP guidelines but I couldn't find anything about carbonation levels. Maybe someone can chime in with something a little more official.

Back