New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pre- & Post-Boil Gravity Reading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
mlutha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pre- & Post-Boil Gravity Reading question

I'm about 5 batches into all grain brewing and still working out the kinks. I'm finally remembering to pull samples to measure gravity pre- and post-boil.

In my batch today, I pulled my pre-boil sample off the top of my kettle when I was done lautering. Cooled it down, measured and it was 10 pts lower than the meager effeciency I've been getting. Expected 1.050; got 1.040

So I said 'oh well' and continued my brew day. When I finished and pulled my post-boil sample from my cooled kettle, it measured 1.060 - right on where I was expecting the batch to be...however, this was of course with hops (4 oz in recipe) & break stuff in it.

I've searched through the topics here and found a reference to 'mixing well' before taking your pre-boil sample. I'm surprised that there could be a 10-pt difference from the top of the kettle to the bottom?

So, anyhow, just looking for confirmation on technique here. I'm assuming that had I mixed the pre-boil kettle before taking a sample, I would've gotten a higher reading, yeah? Also, is my post-boil sample giving me a true reading, considering the suspending trub?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlutha View Post
I'm assuming that had I mixed the pre-boil kettle before taking a sample, I would've gotten a higher reading, yeah? Also, is my post-boil sample giving me a true reading, considering the suspending trub?
On the mixing - it's possible. You should definitely stir it up gently to get a homogenous wort before taking a sample. Also, make sure you are correcting for temp correctly based on you hydrometer's calibration temp.

As for the post-boil reading, I have been told that trub will not interfere with the reading because that material is not part of the solution, but simply suspended in it. I have not personally performed any tests to confirm this though. If you are concerned, let the carboy rest for an hour before taking the reading and pitching yeast.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I actually take my brix reading into the boiler after it's started to boil and mix itself a bit.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it'll be down to the mixing,try measuring the gravity of the first runnings next time you brew and measure aain towards the end of the sparge-there is a huge difference.all that heavier stuff naturally just wants to sit on the bottom

Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

post-boil should always be higher because you'll have less volume. did you check what the volume was pre- and post-boil?

Quick Reply