Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pre-boil gravity question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Sea_of_Shells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pre-boil gravity question

Greetings.

Partial mash home brewer here. Since I'm not doing a full boil (only about 4 gallons), is there even a point in taking a pre-boil gravity if I'm going to end up adding top off water post boil? I'd like to be able to calculate my efficiency. Will the top off water (and lack of extract) make it pointless? I know the top off water is added after the boil, but I'm just making sure.

Oh, and about extract efficiency. Is it pretty set in stone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
MK2MS
Recipes 

Well fellow, I'm an all-grain brewer, I cannot help you with the extract efficiency question, but, I'm sure that the top off water is added after the end of the boil. There are tools to help you calculate final boiling volumes, diluting gravities and that kind of stuff, I do recommend BeerSmith. Just remember to sterilize your water before put it on after all.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 145

To measure efficiency I would use a pre-boil gravity, although I suppose you could also take a post-boil reading before a flameout addition of extract and top off water - either way you just need to use the right volume in your calculation. You should get 100% of the yield from extract so as long as you know your volumes you can always calculate things later rather than worrying about mixing issues.

Quick Reply