Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pre-boil efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Scuba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pre-boil efficiency

My question is about pre-boil efficiency. It seems that pre and post boil efficiencies are going to be quite different. If, say, 75% is a good post boil efficiency what would be considered a good pre-boil efficiency?

Or, another way to ask it is what kind of pre-boil efficiency are you shooting for so you have a clue as to whether your extraction was good or not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
jay4e
Recipes 

although im no expert, i believe pre and post boil efficiencies should figure out to be to be pretty much the same. yes you have a higher sg post boil but you have less volume to balance that out. dont quote me on this, as i have never actually tested it, but i believe the gravity to volume ratio shouldnt change over the boil. the volume will decrease proportionally to the gravity increasing. and its the ratio that matters for efficiency.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

That's correct, Jay. You have the same amount of sugar and and dissolved stuff in the boil before the boil and after. Well, that may not be completely true, but it's close enough so that your gravity readings should not vary significantly. I calculate what I expect my wort volume and gravity to be, based on what I want my final volume and gravity to be, and then hope the beer gods smile on me. That's how I measure my "pre-boil efficiency."

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

IMHO, post boil/in the fermenter/or my favorite "brewhouse" efficiency CAN be the same as mash/lauter if you absolutely get all the wort out of the hops/trub. If you use pellet hops in a nylon bag, this is usually true. However, if you leave ANY wort in the kettle or tubing between the kettle and fermenter, your post boil efficiency will be a bit lower. I lose about 3% if I let my pump lose prime and wort gets locked up in the CFC.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply