Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pouring wort on top of yeast cake...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Pouring wort on top of yeast cake...

Why would this be a bad idea?

Does the yeast cake require cleaning before doing this even if I brew the same type of beer?

When I bottle I like to also brew a new batch for the fermentor... once the wort is cooled, why couldn't I just pour the wort on the yeast cake? I do have a new yeast pack... I still need to start the starter for it... so I figured why not re-use the yeast cake for the same type of beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I've done it, when I specifically made a "small beer" in order to have a large amount of yeast for a bigger beer- like 3 gallons of lager, and the entire yeast cake then used for a 10 gallon batch of lager.

But for the most part, it's not a good idea. here's some good reading on it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

I've done it a couple of times when I didn't have new/washed yeast and wanted to flip batches quickly. I haven't had any problems in my few times doing it but yoopers thread has some great info. Give it a try... It's only beer!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I want to try washing my yeast, not yet but i intend on starting 1 gallon beers and brewing every 3 weeks on the dot and I would like to only buy yeast every 3rd or 4th brew (heard that yeast mutates funky after the 3rd or 4th generation) so I would be interested in a very fast washing method.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I want to try washing my yeast, not yet but i intend on starting 1 gallon beers and brewing every 3 weeks on the dot and I would like to only buy yeast every 3rd or 4th brew (heard that yeast mutates funky after the 3rd or 4th generation) so I would be interested in a very fast washing method.
If you're brewing almost immediately after racking the beer, you can leave a bit of beer on the yeast cake and then just divide it up and use it. It'll be fine a few weeks in the fridge.

If you want to rinse it, this sticky is helpful: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

Quick Reply