Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pouring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Pouring Question

I have read How to Brew cover to cover I know how you pour homebrew to not get and dregs in your glass. I'm reading a different book on Tasting and it talks about building great head on a beer, and basically it tells you to just pour down the middle and let it settle. Now Ive not attempted this yet but assuming I'm pouring and entire glass for myself to taste is there a way of stopping and starting without loosening up the dregs? Or should I just stick to how I pour already?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

pour hard at first then slowly backoff to catch the dregs?

Brew On!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem135 View Post
pour hard at first then slowly backoff to catch the dregs?
I was thinking about trying that, but the way they specifically say in the book is to stop pouring, maybe if I'm really slow and careful I can minimize any potential sloshing. I had to stop my brother when he was pouring one for someone cause he pulled up really quick, and was about to pour again and I just imagine this nice cloudy beer coming forth.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Pour it all in and let it settle? Drink the beer like a day later?

Not me, I'll continue to pour down the side until about 1/2 or 2/3 then pour in the middle to get some head, pull up as the dregs start to come to the mouth of the bottle.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

janson745 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Actually it addressed this later in the book, It says to try to get it all in one go, so maybe I should just use a larger glass to get the results or I may tinker with only tilting my bottle very slightly. But it also suggested using a pitcher to decant the beer, which isn't a horrible idea. may need to go buy a nice glass pitcher for that use.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
brewde
Recipes 

I think I can shed some light on this, as my beers end up with a notoriously thick yeast layer in most bottles, often over 1/4". Go all in a single pour, I usually do what whoaru said. I've have noticed as you near the end of your pour if you keep the flow at a trickle toward the last few ounces, the bend in the bottle neck is conveniently shaped to trap most of the yeast. Do that and stop pouring instantly when the beer goes cloudy and it's a crystal clear glass.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2000 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

I pour wth the glass verticle for the first 2" or so. Then tilt the glass while still pouring. Slowing down towards the end to get it all in. Stop pouring when the dregs get up to the shoulder of the bottle. You should wind up with a couple fingers of head.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's called "Pouring to the shoulder."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My technique for a the right size head and the fewest dregs is a smooth pour holding the bottle high to look through the glass. If I'm pouring from a 16 ounce bottle into a 20 ounce glass I want the entire contents, except dregs, in the glass with one tip of the bottle. Foremost is to avoid the glugs. When you begin your pour and tip the bottle to high, the vacuum created by the beer leaving the bottle draws in air through the beer you are pouring. The glug glug sound. The disturbance created by the drawn in air will begin loosening the dregs at the bottom of the bottle. Begin your pour with only half of the bottle mouth filled with beer. Pour down the side of a tipped glass. To much head forming; lower the angle of the glass. Not enough head forming; begin lessening the angle of the glass and perhaps pour into the beer rather than down the side. I usually start my pours with the beer hitting the side of the glass 2/3 of the way down.
I have other eccentricities, but I do love the way my beers look going into the glass.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2000 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Good description. I hold my bottle & glass high as well to see through the bottle for when the dregs come up to the shoulder. And avoiding that glub glub is def real.

Quick Reply