Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pouring beer into secondary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
callisbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pouring beer into secondary fermenter

Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Oxidation is supposed to give off flavors, especially with long-term storage. I'll drive over from Durham and help you make sure the storage is more short-term.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
hopheaded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you could get a cardboard like off flavor that can happen from oxygenation. use a siphon in the future for transferring!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 106

It may cause some oxidation in the finished beer but that usually takes time before it's really noticeable.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisbeers View Post
Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?
Depends, if its a barleywine its ruined, if its a mild or pale ale its fine. What you did was reduce its shelf life. So if its not a IIPA or Imperial stout that requires months to mature, you're fine. +1 on the siphon, just start it correctly.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Quick Reply