New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pour over ice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
JebCkr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pour over ice?

When pouring your boil into your primary is there anything wrong with pouring it over a bag of ice to get the temp down. Then get it exactly where you want by adding warm/cold top off water. I ask because I always see people talking about wort chillers, not this method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5744 Times on 5107 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Most folks with wort chillers are boiling their full size batch - so we can't add ice or water to it....

Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 65

the problem with ice is that you cannot ensure its cleanliness

Old 06-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Alton Brown highly recommends this method in his Good Eats episode about homebrewing. It's been debated at length, and the consensus is generally negative. However, it's not a terrible technique. If it's the best you can do at the moment, it's certainly better than nothing at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebCkr View Post
When pouring your boil into your primary is there anything wrong with pouring it over a bag of ice to get the temp down. Then get it exactly where you want by adding warm/cold top off water. I ask because I always see people talking about wort chillers, not this method.

I like to put the pot in the sink and put ice around the pot. After it cools most of the way down I add the cold water to top off. If your talking about pouring the wort over the ice bags you get from a gas station, I have to main concerns:
1) is the bag properly sanitized?
2) can the plastic stand up to the high temperatures?

Also, how do you pour it over the ice bag without spilling the wort everywhere? I think the ice bath method is better.

I'm assuming that your doing partial boil / extract batches. Wort chillers are more critical for full boil / all grain. So I don't think you need to rush out and get a wort chiller.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
I like to put the pot in the sink and put ice around the pot. After it cools most of the way down I add the cold water to top off. If your talking about pouring the wort over the ice bags you get from a gas station, I have to main concerns:
1) is the bag properly sanitized?
2) can the plastic stand up to the high temperatures?

Also, how do you pour it over the ice bag without spilling the wort everywhere? I think the ice bath method is better.
LMAO! Funny, but you should put a or or at least a so we know you're joking.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
LMAO! Funny, but you should put a or or at least a so we know you're joking.
I wasn't joking. I thought he meant pour it over the bag. I figured if he meant adding ice to the wort, he would have said so.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes you could pour over the ice, however, like evryone else says, sanitation is an issue. To be safe, I would assume that manufactured ice is not the most sanitary form of frozen water.

IMHO it would be better to purchase some gallon jugs of drinking water (or distilled water) chill it in the fridge for a few hours, or better yet, over night, and use that very cold water as top-off water to get you to pitching temps.

Personally, I use an ice bath in the sink, and get my wort temps down into the low 100's, then I use chilled PUR filtered water that I keep in the fridge for at leat a day or two before brew day, to get into the high 60's mid 70's before pitching, it works well.

Two bags of ice for the bathing definitley gets me a better cold break, but one bag will work, however, with one bag the cold break will be a crap shoot. Sometimes you will get significant chill haze other times you won't just depends on how quick you get the temps down.

Good Luck!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used to use bagged ice. When I was doing partial boils I would put 16 pounds (two gallons) of commercial ice right in my fermenter. Actually, the IPA that mademy dropdown used that system.

What I would do was pour out ofmy kettle into a waiting gallon of cold water in my bottling bucket, whirlpool that and then out the spigot onto teh ice in the fermenter.

I never got burnt, but it is a variable, and it could hurt a lot.

Be real careful to check your bags for tears, and for goodness sake use the self checkout so a careless clerk doesn't tear the bag open on some germ laden grocery store checkout lane thing.

I built a chiller for about $50, so now I put the chiller in the kettle with the store bought ice in the kitchen sink. I use a pond pump (seasonal department, Lowes/ Home Depot) to recuirculate the ice cold water in the sinkthrough the coil. Pump was ~$25, 20 feet of soft copper was ~$25.

Fifty bucks is fifty bucks, but it takes a variable out of my system.

Pics link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1391859-post33.html

Maiden voyage of my cooler will be either Monday or Tuesday, I worked this weekend; going after Mosher's Black Ship Pirate Stout as soon as I can get my work area clean.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've heard that manufactured ice may not be the most sanitary. You'd want to watch out for that. I've used ice from boiled water made in a handful of sanitized food containers.

However, your best use of ice is after the wort has cooled down a bit. Use a cold-water bath in your sink for a bit, then after it chills down to low 100's or 90's, add the ice.

Brew On

Quick Reply