Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Potential new brewer needs help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
lpdean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Potential new brewer needs help

I am looking to possibly start homebrewing and wondered if it was worth all the time, money, and work. I am not a hardcore drinkiner by any means but do enjoy a good beer on occasion and feel that there would probably be some added pleasure in sitting back with a cold one of my "own". Maybe it is only because it is winter and I am penned up in the house but for some reason trying the homebrewing thing popped in my head. I was hoping for some guidance on weather or not to give it a shot and if so what type of equipment is best. Thanks, in advance for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just look around, friend! Cheap, easy and soooo addicting! It is a blas to create recipes not available from the stores. Hard ciders, and lemonades, too. I never make a clone type beer, only stuff friends can't taste from stores. It is fun, to say the least. But be careful...there is no turning back....wuhaaahaahaa

Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have doubts you should hang with a brewer for a while to learn and sample before heading down a path of indestruction like we have...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about 2 months in and hopelessly addicted to brewing. Not for the beer, for the rewards of making your own beer.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought either the starter or Intermediate kit with Better Bottles:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...Cat=11166&fd=1

I'm always scared I'm going to break my glass carboys and I ordered a Better Bottle this week as my secondary after reading through the forum.

Good luck and cheers!

Primary - If it's not Scottish it's CRAP Ale
Primary Imperial IPA
Secondary -
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Old 02-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Do you have a lot of friends that enjoy great beer? You might find happiness in sharing your hobby with them. Generally, it's not too hard to give away beer. I liken it to holding a good dinner party.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
texasgeorge

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't drink a whole lot of beer before I started homebrewing. I would buy the occasional 6-pack of Bass or Guinness, or SNPA, or something... depending on what I was in the mood for. I got into it as a hobby that I could tinker with and work with for the rest of my life. I had no idea all the fun and anxiety it can be sometimes, but it's fantastic.

As it is, I probably donate 1/2 of what I make to friends and family anyway.

But, I can honestly say with a straight face that I have a much better attitude and am a happier, more agreeable person since I began brewing. There's just something about it that makes ya feel good about yourself.

Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 02-16-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Definately give it a shot. You can get a starter kit for cheap, and be making great beers in no time at all.

Not going to lie to you, it does involve "work". Bottling day is a good example. But it is work with rewards. It will also give you a deeper appreciation for beer. Before I started homebrewing last July, I had tried a few microbrews and liked them, but never really payed attention to the complex flavors of a beer.

Brewing is alot like cooking, you follow a recipe or just come up with something on your own, and make it. Unless your batch goes bad for some reason (rare), you have a result that will most likely be pretty damn good, even if it wasn't exactly what you were shooting for.

Brewing beer is the ultimate hobby.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Not going to lie to you, it does involve "work". Bottling day is a good example. But it is work with rewards. It will also give you a deeper appreciation for beer. Before I started homebrewing last July, I had tried a few microbrews and liked them, but never really payed attention to the complex flavors of a beer.

Totally agree--before I started homebrewing I preferred English beers, but I couldn't really tell you the difference between a porter and a stout, or a bitter and a pale ale, or whatever. Now, I get way more pleasure from a single beer than I ever did from drinking til I couldn't stand up. It's almost like magic to see the weird, vaguely distressing stew-like gunk get transformed into really, really good beer. And I promise--it's easy to make a good batch, and a good batch of homebrew will blow the hell out of any beer you'll ever buy, period. I never knew beer could taste this good!

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Willsellout

Recipes 

I spent 50 bucks for my first brew and really enjoyed it. Now I've got a couple hundred in and about to spend a couple hundred more to go all grain...it can be expensive, but it's fun and drinking something you made...there's nothing like it really!

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
RickWG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Do you have a lot of friends that enjoy great beer? You might find happiness in sharing your hobby with them. Generally, it's not too hard to give away beer. I liken it to holding a good dinner party.
Yeah, I'm only into my first batch, bottling this weekend, and i already have way way more friends than I did before. Lots and lots ob neighbors are giving me bottles.

Quick Reply