Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Posting in an epic forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Cisteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Posting in an epic forum

Thanks to the massive amounts of knowledge on this forum i feel extremely comfortable and efficient at home brewing. My very first batch isn't even done fermenting yet but i couldn't have done it without you guys. Rather than being a stressed out noob i had a lot of fun on brew day and I'm extremely anxious for my bottling day. And can't wait to start up another batch.

In short thank you guys so much for the help it is greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Do you realize that you can buy another fermenting bucket for less than $20 and start the next batch right away? You wouldn't need anything more except for the ingredient kit. I think it's fun to have more than one batch going at once. It gives me something to do while waiting for the previous batch to be ready to bottle.

Oh, and congratulations on the comfortable start.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
steppenwolph
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisteve View Post
Thanks to the massive amounts of knowledge on this forum i feel extremely comfortable and efficient at home brewing. My very first batch isn't even done fermenting yet but i couldn't have done it without you guys. Rather than being a stressed out noob i had a lot of fun on brew day and I'm extremely anxious for my bottling day. And can't wait to start up another batch.

In short thank you guys so much for the help it is greatly appreciated.

-Steve
I could not agree more. My first brew also went flawlessly, all due to the tons of information and advice available here. Thank you all!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

1) Welcome!
2) Definitely a good idea to get the equipment together to build a pipeline and parallel brews. I'm still working on it. I hate to see one batch get finished off before I've started another.
3) Please stop using the word "epic". While this forum is incredible, it's no Gilgamesh or Faith No More album, the only appropriate uses for the word.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
1) Welcome!
2) Definitely a good idea to get the equipment together to build a pipeline and parallel brews. I'm still working on it. I hate to see one batch get finished off before I've started another.
3) Please stop using the word "epic". While this forum is incredible, it's no Gilgamesh or Faith No More album, the only appropriate uses for the word.
Heres a bad awfully suggestion to"epic"- Lets hear more "winning" duh..

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Cisteve
Recipes 

So I took a gravity reading today (6 days after brew day)

My first gravity reading before pitching was 1.049
And now it's at 1.012

I'm kinda surprised that fermentation took place so quickly especially so due to almost no airlock activity.

I'm guessing wyeast

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
350_Malibu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Could have also been a small leak around the bucket lid seal. I've had several batches never make a single bubble, but fully fermented just fine. I am guessing the seal on the bucket isn't great allowing the co2 to escape at the bucket lid seal.

You'll know when it's done when you get the same reading ~3 days in a row.

Congrats on the first batch.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Good. There is your proof,airlocks keep air out and excess co2, only use that for a forcast. Your hydro and visibility of krausen or fallen krasuen are your indicaters of activity.If you have glass you can even see the vigor the little yeast have sometimes.
Fermentation can happen within 2 days i did one sunday and it looks like its done today,but i will let it sit 3 weeks before botteling to clean up and taste good for botteling.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Good. There is your proof,airlocks keep air out and excess co2, only use that for a forcast. Your hydro and visibility of krausen or fallen krasuen are your indicaters of activity.If you have glass you can even see the vigor the little yeast have sometimes.
Fermentation can happen within 2 days i did one sunday and it looks like its done today,but i will let it sit 3 weeks before botteling to clean up and taste good for botteling.
Jut had the same thing happen to me. Brewed a weisbeir kit friday. no bubbles in the blowoff tube saturday, sunday monday or tuesday. Popped the lid off to get a sg sample, to determine whether or not to repitch. nice neat krausen ring right there in the middle. Never got to the top of the headspace!!! Put the airlock on and now will wait the usual 3-4 weeks til bottling. The hydrometer fell in the test cylinder so fast it hit bottom, never even floated. Guess it musta fermented while I wasn't watching. Ninja Yeast?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Agreed! This forum has helped me so much. I also agree with going ahead and starting another brew. I got lucky that when my dad moved from KY to MA that he left 2 carboys behind. When I bought my kit it also had one, so I have 3

Once I moved my first batch to a carboy and had it stored away I started up a 2nd batch. Figure I'll wait now to see how they turn out before I spend more money....

Quick Reply