Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #981
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaserespond View Post
it's about 2 weeks old or so, not quite 3 weeks yet. it's fermenting in a primary (1 gallon glass carboy).
yeast and bubbles..

your good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #982
pleaserespond
Recipes 

What's the rule of the thumb in terms of time for lactic bacteria infection to develop?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #983
CDGoin
Recipes 

From what I have seen, if you have a decent Krausen, you won't really see it until well after fermentation, not just a day or two.

I have almost exactly what you have except they are joined together in bigger groups in my RIS..

MY rule of thumb, is the texture, color and shape.

It tends to cover the top as a thin sheet if its not disturbed. It loks a lot like pond scum.. Its not bubbly, or little small bits, etc..

It seems on this thread 95 times out of 100 its either the leftovers of fermentation, or contamination from other sources (bits of rag, items that were put into the secondary (coffee, cocoa, haops, vanilla, etc.. ) that give off "junk" that seem to scare everyone.

From what I gather Lactic infections are exception more so than the rule. I am also finding out that more beers end up with sour notes, and off flavors due to water quality or fermentation temp swings than infections.

Now I have seen some pictures of beer infected with a lot of odd junk that wasn't Lactobacillus.. and not sure what those were infected with. That said, the common denominator in those, is that they had been in secondary a long time.. and usually the posts seem to be in the summer.

Just somethings to consider.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #984
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This starter looks ok from a distance but up close there are tiny fibers in solution floating around..Trippn me the hell out

119.jpg   122.jpg  

Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #985
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

After flipping through 90+ pages of this thread I have seen some funk that made me wish I had not looked. LOL....... But it is interesting to say the least. I watched a episode of brew tv a while back dedicated to open fermentation. Mike Dawson brewed a batch of beer and fermented in his brew kettle semi open with the lid cracked.One would think if you were going to pick up some funk a open fermentation would do it. His beer turned out great according to him. If you can make great beer without it being sealed...... sanitation has to be an issue for a lot of these infections. I was going to try that technique but I may hold off after reading this thread.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #986
stumpie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have what looks like an oil slick going on on top of my brew. Then again there was some grapefruit zest (from about half a grapefruit) that went into the boil @10. I skimmed most of it out flameout but undoubtedly missed some. Think that's maybe just the oils from that peel? I'll try and rack under it and leave the top ~1" in the FV when I bottle.

(This is after 20 days in the primary)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #987
CDGoin
Recipes 

That does look odd.. what are the big yellow masses ?

If those are the grapefruit.. I think your OK.. as you said it looks oily which is probably more contamination than infection.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #988
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrum6969 View Post
After flipping through 90+ pages of this thread I have seen some funk that made me wish I had not looked. LOL....... But it is interesting to say the least. I watched a episode of brew tv a while back dedicated to open fermentation. Mike Dawson brewed a batch of beer and fermented in his brew kettle semi open with the lid cracked.One would think if you were going to pick up some funk a open fermentation would do it. His beer turned out great according to him. If you can make great beer without it being sealed...... sanitation has to be an issue for a lot of these infections. I was going to try that technique but I may hold off after reading this thread.
As I have, you probably realized looking through this thread.. that most of the "infections" fall into 5 categories.

1) Yeast rafts / CO2 and left over Krausen

2) Contamination in primary (From oils or other "junk" that got into the boil or fermenter

3) Contamination in secondary (from hops, beans, wood chips, etc..)

4) Lactic Bacteria infection

5) Unknown infection/crap

I would say

1) 65%
2) 10%
3) 20%
4) less than 5%
5) less than 5%
Idrum6969 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #989
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
As I have you probably realized looking through this thread.. most of the "infections" fall into 5 categories.

1) Yeast rafts / CO2 and left over Krausen

2) Contamination in primary (From oils or other "junk" that got into the boil or fermenter

3) Contamination in secondary (from hops, beans, wood chips, etc..)

4) Lactic Bacteria infection

5) Unknown infection/crap

I would say

1) 65%
2) 10%
3) 20%
4) less than 5%
5) less than 5%
I couldn't agree more....... I will also say I wish to not experience any of "THE FUNK" I have seen thus far in my beers unless I intended for it to be that way. I have checked my equipment for any flaws and will make damn sure my sanitation is in check no matter the stage I am at with beer.

New River Brewery & Co. Making home brew since 2012.
Primary- Dundalk Secondary-Dark Wheat Porter. Bottled-Chocolate Stout & Dawson's Multigrain Red. On Tap-Oud Bruin de Table Farmhouse Ale & Speckled Heifer Ale.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #990
stumpie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
That does look odd.. what are the big yellow masses ?

If those are the grapefruit.. I think your OK.. as you said it looks oily which is probably more contamination than infection.
Those are whole leaf hops. The only piece of grapefruit i see is right about in the middle of the pic.

Quick Reply