Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #781
beerman0001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you dont need the carboy just leave it alone for a year. The only worry is that is alot of headspace.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #782
Zoltanar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally thought of taking pictures last night.
The first one is not that easy to see, but it is the "crumbling layer" that appeared in my bottles - the exact same thing that I had in my secondary bucket. I haven't tried it yet and like I said in a previous post, I will probably have to make it go through a collander to get the floating parts out before drinking it.

The second picture is my SN clone that also got infected. This is still in the primary - I think that while moving it around, a small amount of the liquid from the blow off thing on the top of the lid go in the beer. Maybe this is what started the infection? Although I doubt it since it was a starsan solution...makes me wonder!
I'll still try to rack it to a secondary, making sure I don't syphon the top part. I'll then wait a couple days and see if more molding is forming at the top before I decide what I do with it.

I guess I will need to clean and sanityze all my equipment - 2 batch in a row that are turning bad....

imag0262.jpg   imag0263.jpg  

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #783
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltanar View Post
Finally thought of taking pictures last night.
The first one is not that easy to see, but it is the "crumbling layer" that appeared in my bottles - the exact same thing that I had in my secondary bucket. I haven't tried it yet and like I said in a previous post, I will probably have to make it go through a collander to get the floating parts out before drinking it.

The second picture is my SN clone that also got infected. This is still in the primary - I think that while moving it around, a small amount of the liquid from the blow off thing on the top of the lid go in the beer. Maybe this is what started the infection? Although I doubt it since it was a starsan solution...makes me wonder!
I'll still try to rack it to a secondary, making sure I don't syphon the top part. I'll then wait a couple days and see if more molding is forming at the top before I decide what I do with it.

I guess I will need to clean and sanityze all my equipment - 2 batch in a row that are turning bad....

Same thing happened to me two batches in a row. I gave all my stuff a hot bleach bath not sure if its cured yet haven't gotten to my next batch. My bottles look the same also I think I'll do some tasting tonight its been a little over week since bottled.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #784
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a Lacto infection on my Oktoberfest that must have occurred during my transfer to secondary. I've since replaced all of my hoses, and did a bleach bath on my auto-siphon. What I did when it came time to siphon from my secondary carboy to my bottling bucket was I first poked a hole in the surface "crust" with my wine thief (I use the thief for gravity readings) and then quickly placed my autosiphon into the hole in the crud I just made. Sure, I probably got some of that bacteria into my bottling bucket, but I stopped the autosiphon before it sucked the Lacto through... I'm 1 week 2 days into the bottle carbonating stage and I don't have a white film in any of my bottles.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #785
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snevey
I had a Lacto infection on my Oktoberfest that must have occurred during my transfer to secondary. I've since replaced all of my hoses, and did a bleach bath on my auto-siphon. What I did when it came time to siphon from my secondary carboy to my bottling bucket was I first poked a hole in the surface "crust" with my wine thief (I use the thief for gravity readings) and then quickly placed my autosiphon into the hole in the crud I just made. Sure, I probably got some of that bacteria into my bottling bucket, but I stopped the autosiphon before it sucked the Lacto through... I'm 1 week 2 days into the bottle carbonating stage and I don't have a white film in any of my bottles.
I'm pretty sure the lacto is in the beer and the crud on top is just a side effect.
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #786
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11

I'm pretty sure the lacto is in the beer and the crud on top is just a side effect.
I was thinking the same thing. The bottles also may not have pellicles because of the temp they are being conditioned at.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #787
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're right, BUT I also think that it requires oxygen to grow, something it's not going to get in the bottle, correct?

It's going to be consumed quickly as soon as bottle carbing is complete. I didn't keg this batch, because I want to give it away before pellicles start forming in the bottles.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #788
Zoltanar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, should I get scared of drinking part of the crust that formed in my bottles?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #789
Berrybrews
Recipes 

Can someone please tell if either of these two brews I am doing at are infected.

The two pics on the bottom are same batch. SG reading is at 1016 (if that means anything) using lager yeast 497.
Taste is quite odd, not sour but not pleasant like other brews I have done.

Other one looks worse but there seems to be nothing odd about the taste, SG at 1020. I used ale yeast and put a bit too much yeast in. Should that effect things?

image-717333328.jpg   image-1515100342.jpg   image-2729349999.jpg  

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #790
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrybrews
Can someone please tell if either of these two brews I am doing at are infected.

The two pics on the bottom are same batch. SG reading is at 1016 (if that means anything) using lager yeast 497.
Taste is quite odd, not sour but not pleasant like other brews I have done.

Other one looks worse but there seems to be nothing odd about the taste, SG at 1020. I used ale yeast and put a bit too much yeast in. Should that effect things?
First one looks odd but it could just be the picture. The other 2 look perfectly normal.
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Quick Reply