Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #751
abbysdad2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbysdad2006
Fermentation went good, it only showed up the next day after I put it in the glass carboy.
Ok so I got home tonight and this is what I saw. It has not gotten any bigger. Thanks for all the input.
image-1334343479.jpg   image-1888586859.jpg  

"Buy a man a six-pack, he drinks for a day. Teach him to brew, he drinks all his life"
"For life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Hoppiness"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #752
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Stout + Raspberries + WLP645

This picture isn't great, but near the top you can see the filmy, web-looking stuff that has me mildly concerned. I am merely guessing this is the Brett. Claussenii that I added when I transferred the stout to secondary. Either that, or maybe it's something wild from the bag of raspberries.

In any case, the beer still smells delicious, and I don't plan to crack the first bottle until mid March. Feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

RDWHAPBR

Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #753
shattstar03
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser View Post
This picture isn't great, but near the top you can see the filmy, web-looking stuff that has me mildly concerned. I am merely guessing this is the Brett. Claussenii that I added when I transferred the stout to secondary. Either that, or maybe it's something wild from the bag of raspberries.

In any case, the beer still smells delicious, and I don't plan to crack the first bottle until mid March. Feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Looks normal to me, I normally get that webby looking stuff of bubbles, yeast on top of my beer, looks scary but its harmless (at least for me).

Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #754
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattstar03 View Post
Looks normal to me, I normally get that webby looking stuff of bubbles, yeast on top of my beer, looks scary but its harmless (at least for me).
Thank you, but do you mean normal for brett. claussenii? There are both normal looking ale yeast bubbles plus this non-normal looking webby film spreading out over the top.

Sorry for all the questions! This is just the first time I've ever used brettanomyces type yeast.

RDWHAPBR

Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #755
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser View Post
Thank you, but do you mean normal for brett. claussenii? There are both normal looking ale yeast bubbles plus this non-normal looking webby film spreading out over the top.

Sorry for all the questions! This is just the first time I've ever used brettanomyces type yeast.

If you intentionally added Brettanomyces, then you are posting in the wrong thread. This is mostly for accidental. You infected yours with it on purpose.. which is tasty.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

BuddyWeiser Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #756
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Lets just call this an inadvertant open air secondary "contamination".

Any thoughts on what you see in there? I think there's 2 things going on. Mold and something else. It was the bottom of a bucket I used as a catch basin for bottling from my tap.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #757
itburton
Recipes 

An IPA racked to secondary 10/6/12. My last batch was infected - all gushers. I figure my secondary procedure needs tightening but thought I'd post in case someone could identify or in the futile hope i'm overreacting...

20121016_175608.jpg  

Last edited by itburton; 10-17-2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: image woes

Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #758
chrono03
Recipes 

Just checked my founders backwoods bastard clone. Racked from primary into secondary on to some bourbon soaked woodchips (soaked for about a week). Gravity during racking was 1.020. I had a couple beers during the process and thought it would be a good idea to put an airlock on and use the starsan solution from my blow off bucket. Im guessing that some of the liquid dropped into the beer and infected it. Anyone have any thoughts?

img_0461.jpg  

Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #759
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Pics of the infection that hit one of my batches at the beginning of this summer.

It actually tasted really good and was definitely contemplating bottling but I ended up dumping it out of fear of infecting other equipment.

Thought it might have started from when I was taking a gravity sample, although I was pretty sure I'd sanitised the measuring cup really well with starsan sprayed profusely all over and inside. Talking with my wife recently about the bottled water we get from a local spring and how leaving it to sit for a week or two before using it might not be a good idea and I remembered that I'd used 5 gallons of that water for a batch or two just before the summer. So, there's a chance that it could have been something in the water or bottles.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #760
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Pics of the infection that hit one of my batches at the beginning of this summer.

It actually tasted really good and was definitely contemplating bottling but I ended up dumping it out of fear of infecting other equipment.

Thought it might have started from when I was taking a gravity sample, although I was pretty sure I'd sanitised the measuring cup really well with starsan sprayed profusely all over and inside. Talking with my wife recently about the bottled water we get from a local spring and how leaving it to sit for a week or two before using it might not be a good idea and I remembered that I'd used 5 gallons of that water for a batch or two just before the summer. So, there's a chance that it could have been something in the water or bottles.
Some people pay good money to have their beers look like that!

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Quick Reply