Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #711
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

image-138477441.jpg

Not sure what this is. I left this raspberry and lemon wheat for 5 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #712
duckmanco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

In my ongoing quest for better and better beer, I've been wondering about this film that appears on top of my beers after primary is done. This pic was taken today after 2 weeks in primary prior to racking to keg:

The stuff in question is in between the island of bubbles and the reflection of the overhead light. It's bluish clear if that makes sense and makes way when an autosiphon is pushed in.

Anything to worry about? If so I can narrow it down to post boil transfer (I still dump (5.5 gallon full boils) into primary) and pre-rack to keg.

Here is another shot of it as well, again, not the bubbles, but the bluish clear thin looking film (it almost looks like what star San -which I use - residue that you get when racking finished beer into a keg that had star San in it):

Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #713
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
The stuff in question is in between the island of bubbles and the reflection of the overhead light. It's bluish clear if that makes sense and makes way when an autosiphon is pushed in.
While I'm giving a purely amateurish suggestion here, did this recipe use a lot of hops or dry hopping? It could be a sheen of hop oil on top

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #714
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 530

^ I get that film all the time. I find 90% (if not all) of it just sticks to the sides of the bucket as I siphon out the beer. The stuff that doesn't will never make it into a bottle or keg anyway as it's just sitting on top of the liquid.

Never had a problem or off-flavour that was not related to any of my obvious boners.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #715
duckmanco
Recipes 

^^^^ appreciat the above two replys, and to the first one, nah just 2 total ounces in the whole recipe actually, which a lot less than I typically use. It's also a Nottingham dry yeast fake lager (59f) style beer.

And yeah, that's what this "film" seems to do which is hang out top even during siphoning.

I'm not searching for a problem, but still, if I need to tighten up my practices pre-racking then so be it. Anyway, I'm still open for suggestions either way.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #716
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
^^^^ appreciat the above two replys, and to the first one, nah just 2 total ounces in the whole recipe actually, which a lot less than I typically use. It's also a Nottingham dry yeast fake lager (59f) style beer.

And yeah, that's what this "film" seems to do which is hang out top even during siphoning.

I'm not searching for a problem, but still, if I need to tighten up my practices pre-racking then so be it. Anyway, I'm still open for suggestions either way.
I guess the question is, how are you racking? Are you using carboys, bbs, or buckets for secondary? I use a carboy, so when I rack, I start dumping co2 (at very low psi) into my carboy with a racking hood, then stick the racking cain in until it touches the wort, right into my keg that is already pumped with co2 to clear out stale air so stale air never touches my wort, and the only time I've had an infection was when I used plastic sparketts bottles instead of my glass carboys.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #717
duckmanco
Recipes 

I should have been clearer, I don't secondary. So this is happening (whatever it is) in the primary. I pour the full volume bath into the bucket and either shake the bucket (lid on of course) or use my o2 setup. This batch didn't get the o2 setup, so I've ruled that out.

At this point, I'm going to keep an eye on my next batch which will be brewed tomorrow, and see if it shows up prior to taking a hydro sample. If it doesn't show up prior to the sample, my plastic turkey baster may be the culprit. I doubt it will be that easy though

Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #718
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Two infections. Two different batches.

image-4104032344.jpg   image-29578983.jpg  

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #719
BobTheFourth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not posting an image, because there's not really any visible sign, but I've had two batches in a row catch the same infection. Both came out smelling and tasting strongly of chlorophenol - an IPA and an altbier. Having brewed over 20 batches with the same tap water without this problem, I'm pretty sure its an infection. Both were fermented in the same 6 gallon Better Bottle, so I'm guessing the bugs are hiding in there. Given that it survived my sanitation procedures once already, I'm just going to throw out everything those two batches have touched that isn't made of metal or glass.

I made a pumpkin ale the same day as the alt, which is doing great last I checked. Its fermenting in a plastic bucket instead. My plan is to start fermenting everything in corny kegs going forward, and using only glass or metal implements where possible - you can't beat the "cleanability" of stainless.

Its definitely frustrating having to dump 2 batches in a row. I haven't had an infection before in about 20 batches, and now I'm running severely low on homebrew. I imagine I'll be out before the pumpkin ale is ready to drink.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #720
scottedk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a Rogue Dead Guy clone on 4/24 of this year and have been busy/lazy since (quit job, moved, got married, started PhD program) and finally got around to bottling it today. This is what I saw...

It is VERY sticky. Looks like sawdust on the surface but is squishy (and sticky) to the touch. The brew has a pretty strong alcohol smell (should only turn out to be around 5.8% or so) but other than that it doesn't necessarily smell bad. Very weird.

I still bottled it. What's the worst that can happen, right?

2012-09-13_13-18-42_945.jpg  

Primary - Dunkelweizen
Bottle Condition - Pumpkin Ale

Quick Reply