New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #701
CadillacAndy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY
Damn...

I've got a REALLY tasty IPA in secondary that been there a week that has those weird bubbles that are separated and on top.. I NEED this to not be a lacto infection. I need to bottle this and serve it at the end of this month for a wedding.. UGH!!!!!

I shook the secondary up while it's dry hopping, and the bubbles all got dispersed in there and are gone now... Hoping it's nothing!
Which weird bubbles? How did it smell and taste? Post a picture.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #702
seigex

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaehnig View Post
So Herbert, as I have named him, has grown and his legs now dangle into my beer. His reproduction is also growing and bubbling. I just want more clarification that I'm still good...

It has been 5 days in the secondary.

V/R,
BrewTech
I had one just like that when I brewed an oatmeal stout in 2 plastic Sparkletts bottles ... don't mean to disappoint you, might not even be the same, but I ended up throwing mine out, tasted horrible, but it also smelled horrible

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Primary #1: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary #2: Green Flash West Coast IPA
on tap #1: Addicted Coffee Stout
on tap #2: none :(

Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #703
CadillacAndy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigex

I had one just like that when I brewed an oatmeal stout in 2 plastic Sparkletts bottles ... don't mean to disappoint you, might not even be the same, but I ended up throwing mine out, tasted horrible, but it also smelled horrible
What did it taste like? Sour/acidic or dirty/earthy/funky? Looking ugly and tasting ugly are different. I toss batches for tasting bad, but looking bad just makes me love them more. Hah!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #704
Jaehnig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It does not smell rancid or anything and not sour enough (or at all) to make me cringe or bother the nose or even notice. I smell spices. There are evident signs that there is carbonation (bung pops up when I stuff it down but it still blocks the opening and there are bubbles in airlock.)

Think it will be fine?

V/R,
BrewTech

Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #705
CadillacAndy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaehnig
It does not smell rancid or anything and not sour enough (or at all) to make me cringe or bother the nose or even notice. I smell spices. There are evident signs that there is carbonation (bung pops up when I stuff it down but it still blocks the opening and there are bubbles in airlock.)

Think it will be fine?
If I had to bet, my money is on it's fine and fermentation just started again when you racked to secondary. I'm still saying Herbert is a chunk of coagulated protein.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #706
seigex

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
What did it taste like? Sour/acidic or dirty/earthy/funky? Looking ugly and tasting ugly are different. I toss batches for tasting bad, but looking bad just makes me love them more. Hah!
It smelled rancid, I would say earthy/funky explains it perfect, taste was the same, literally all I can think of is the wet cardboard description, but I don't even know if that explains it. I think it was the Sparkletts bottles, since I'm notorious for over sanitizing. That one just didn't work out ...

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Primary #1: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary #2: Green Flash West Coast IPA
on tap #1: Addicted Coffee Stout
on tap #2: none :(

Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #707
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a stout look like Herbert once, but it tastes great. I think it was a combo of hop oils, cocoa powder and krausen. Looked like **** bubbles but taste great even 9 months later.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #708
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
Which weird bubbles? How did it smell and taste? Post a picture.
Had those filmy pinky nail sized bubbles randomly spread across the top. No real sheen to them yet, and no film on the top, so I'm just wondering if it's just something else.

I haven't tasted it yet. I will tomorrow when I'm suppose to rack to the keg, dry hop more, and gas it to death for 2 weeks before I bottle from the keg for a wedding!

I swirled it and the bubbles are gone, it looks normal for the moment. I'm going to see if the same bubbles return tomorrow. My blonde next to it looked to have those same filmy bubbles, but it's in primary and hasn't been opened yet to even check gravity in over 2 weeks. Just been lazy and left them. I swirled it and those two went away for the most part, other than obvious floating crap like yeast and hop trub.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #709
TapeDeck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockinstein View Post
Will this ever be drinkable. I have 3 batches that are 6 weeks and taste sour. I kegged at 4 weeks and saved the trub, because I knew something wasn't right. I've got plenty of kegs so I can sit on it as long as it takes. But is there any need to keep it?
This looks almost exactly like what I just put into secondary.
I would love to know what this type of bubble signifies, and I'd also love to know what you did with the beer.

I like sours and brett beers, so I'm not creeped out by it, other than that it may mean buying new stuff to prevent future beers from being similarly contaminated.

I brewed 3 beers the day I did the one that looks like this. I will be crushed if they're all screwed.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #710
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

My paranoia has taken over this week.. I think my IPA is slightly infected, but I'm not positive. It's got a few of those round filmy bubbles on top. I doused it down with another ounce of hops yesterday and left it. This morning the bubbles appear to be trying to come back a bit.. Swirled the carboy a tad and they go away.. So I don't know. Beer was brewed almost a month ago, and was fine until I dryhopped and moved to secondary last weekend.

My blonde next to it is fine, and I've got a chocolate porter that I brewed last sunday, that is in the primary I racked the IPA out of. It's still slowly bubbling away a week later. Has some gunky diarrhea bubbles on top still like it's krausen though. I used cocoa powder in the boil, and pretty sure that crap is from the chocolate.

I checked gravities on all of them yesterday, and took samples to taste/smell. IPA is nice and citrusy, good bitterness, no souring in aroma or flavor. Gravity is the same as it was when I checked it last week before dry hopping. The Blonde was fine, despite appearing to have the same cloudy looking bubbles. Hadn't checked the gravity, but it was an extract batch that I did really fast, and it's spot on for FG. The Porter was AG, and I was worried that it was infected to.. Checked the gravity and it's right at the FG of what the recipe calls for, but I could be going lower, as I mashed a bit lower, and longer, and I broke my hydrometer and didn't get a original gravity, although all of my pre boil OG and volumes were right as well.. I think I'm close, but if this Porter drops 5 more points, I've got a feeling it's no good. Good thing is.. It taste really awesome, one of my better beers, and I can tell it's got a bunch of crap suspended in it. When I chilled a tasting glass of it, I had a ton of crap fall out of it. So I'm sure it's still going and nothing is wrong. Only been a week in primary at a 1.060 gravity( or should be ), it's only halfway there.

I'll take pics of the IPA though tonight when the bubbles should return. In the mean time, I'm going to bleach, OXY, Starsan bomb the hell out of my siphon and hoses while I mash in a batch this afternoon.

Quick Reply