New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #661
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
It still tastes fine, which is why I'm curious what it is.
It's what my mom would call a science experience when I was a kid before throwing it out. Informally I would call it a type of mold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #662
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Infected Lemongrass Wheat

And...a monster of an infection. My infected Rye Saison

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #663
Bockinstein
Recipes 

Will this ever be drinkable. I have 3 batches that are 6 weeks and taste sour. I kegged at 4 weeks and saved the trub, because I knew something wasn't right. I've got plenty of kegs so I can sit on it as long as it takes. But is there any need to keep it?

"Sure did last quick"

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #664
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I have what looks like a Lacto infection on my gruit ale (in primary for 12 days). It smelled most foul on Friday, so I was about to toss it before the weekend but was otherwise occupied, forcing me to RDWHAHB. Today I checked and it sure as heck had the typical Lacto layer on top. What's more, when I opened the lid a fruity, banana-y smell started to waft through my cellar, only traces of foulness remain. I guess I'll just let it rest until after I can rack my vanilla bock so as to avoid cross-contamination. If it smells alright I'll probably bottle using PET-bottles to prevent bombs.
Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #665
pwag
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. those look like yeast rafts. just seal it up and let her rip for at least another week till you take a gravity reading.
How important is taking the gravity measures? I haven't bought a device. Previously after about two weeks with the cider I'd start pouring and drinking.

I planned on letting the beer go until it tapers off carbon dioxide production and just bottling it according to premier's directions. I think 1/8th a tsp of sugar in the bottle and cap it.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #666
gandalfiii
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwag View Post
How important is taking the gravity measures? I haven't bought a device. Previously after about two weeks with the cider I'd start pouring and drinking.

I planned on letting the beer go until it tapers off carbon dioxide production and just bottling it according to premier's directions. I think 1/8th a tsp of sugar in the bottle and cap it.
Well you can't know for sure if your fermentation is complete without taking gravity readings. Also, that's how you would calculate your ABV.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #667
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just racked my saison beer into secondary yesterday and about 24 h later i return to see the glass carboy and notice that the beer has sedimented alot to the bottom but there are little white spots on the top of the liquid is this normal ??

I'm a noob brewer and my beer was AG

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #668
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge View Post
Just racked my saison beer into secondary yesterday and about 24 h later i return to see the glass carboy and notice that the beer has sedimented alot to the bottom but there are little white spots on the top of the liquid is this normal ??

I'm a noob brewer and my beer was AG
Prolly just co2 yeast rafts, look closely are there tiny bubbles? Absolutely normal.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #669
CincinnatiMongoose
Recipes 

Hello fellow brewers, I hope you will forgive a newbie if this is the wrong forum for my question. I have brewed a few nut browns, a wheat, a killer chocolate stout and a tripel. Rather than leave well enough alone, I tweaked the stout extract recipe to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of baking chocolate in the wort. I had it in the primary for a week, then a clear tank for week before bottling. I was rushing to get it done I know. When I bottled, there were some faint white lines on top of the wort. Enough that I noticed, but nothing gross. Looked like milk. When I bottled I had some bubbles whereas I had not had that before. I racked from underneath and it had a thin ring on top of the bottle after bottling.

2 weeks in the bottle now and most of the bottles now have what looks like a 1/2" variable thickness floater at the top. Best descriptionis egg whites. Did I get a lacto infection? I keep things very clean, my wife jokes I am prepping the kitchen for a birth, so I am concerned my fairly new equipment is now ruined? Please help, I am currently drinking a Budweiser and bummed.

Thank you!

Last edited by CincinnatiMongoose; 08-11-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: I didn't mention how long they've been bottled.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #670
Redmasterflex
Recipes 

If I bottle my infected brew is my bottling bucket at risk of harboring the bacteria/mold and contaminating my other beers when I bottle them?

Quick Reply