Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #511
CasselBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

While researching what is the infection I got in my Red Racer clone secondary, I stumbled on this loonnnggg thread! It sure looks cool but I don't think it is THAT cool. I smells ok but haven't tasted it it. It was dry hoped 2 weeks ago after successful primary (tasted f*ing great!), now I just want to know what it is. I will dump it cause I rather get this mentality in check cause our brewery is opening up commercially in June 2012 and if it happens at that time, down the drain it will go. I will grab a microscope tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Fermenter #1 http://www.casselbrewery.ca/graphics/IMG_2320.JPG
Fermenter #2 http://www.casselbrewery.ca/graphics/IMG_2321.JPG

Thanks for any idea of what it might be!

Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
Cassel Brewery Company Ltd.
www.CasselBrewery.ca

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #512
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do you think this is a problem?

Hi All,

I've just finished a Festa brew European Pilsner kit, and upon opening it up for bottling today, i noticed some little nasties floating on the top of the wort.

This has been sitting on the yeast cake since Nov 27th, I did not rack into a secondary actually "because" I am cautious about infecting my beer.

I am way overly cautious, I soak my bucket, carboy and equipment in TSP (trisodium phosphate) for usually an hour or so before and after use, and then sanitize with iodophore.

The fact that something sneaked in makes me really wonder how it got in there.

I make sure nothing that is not sanitized comes into contact with any of my utensils or equipment, and make sure my hands are clean enough almost to do surgery...lol.

I tasted the beer out of the graduated cylinder when I took a sample for the FG, and it tasted fine, nothing weird or off tasting, so I guess the question is "is it ok", or will something grow in the bottles now??

Take a look and tell me what you think, it's not much, but it's in there, so I just want to make sure it's gonna be ok.

Thanks!!

Chris

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #513
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks fine to me, just cause there's stuff floating on top doesn't mean there's a problem. Some of the big time top croppers will stay on the surface and never fall.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #514
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I have seen this lately in my beers. I have some funky stuff on top of my porter. Looks like that last pic. We will see. Hopefully nothing. The brew day went awesome. Looking forward to drinking it.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #515
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Now that I rack it I can see that the floaters are merely the yeast crap that fell off the side of the bucket. Smelling good!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #516
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie View Post
Looks fine to me, just cause there's stuff floating on top doesn't mean there's a problem. Some of the big time top croppers will stay on the surface and never fall.
I don't know "what" it is, but I can tell that it is some kind of a culture growing, at least the few fuzzy spots are anyhow!

I've got a high power microscope, and could have probably gotten a good picture through it of the organism, but I was SO freakin tired after all the cleaning and bottling, I just dumped out the crap when I was done...lol.

I get the impression by reading everyone elses posts in this thread is that if it tastes OK, the it is ok, is that the golden rule?

Is there ever a case where you just shouldn't drink a beer because of infection, less the nasty obvious taste of course?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #517
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The general rule is that nothing that can hurt you can live in beer.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #518
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NScooknet View Post
I don't know "what" it is, but I can tell that it is some kind of a culture growing, at least the few fuzzy spots are anyhow!

I've got a high power microscope, and could have probably gotten a good picture through it of the organism, but I was SO freakin tired after all the cleaning and bottling, I just dumped out the crap when I was done...lol.

I get the impression by reading everyone elses posts in this thread is that if it tastes OK, the it is ok, is that the golden rule?

Is there ever a case where you just shouldn't drink a beer because of infection, less the nasty obvious taste of course?

It looks like something to me. I'd skim it and bottle cuzz I have no fear and have been to TJ.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #519
cyclonetx
Recipes 

I am assuming my last batch was infected (gushing bottles and bad taste). All of my nice swing top bottles have a film that won't budge after a day of soaking in water. Any suggestions about how to get my bottles clean is greatly appreciated. Also, would a switch from StarSan to iodophor be an issue? This is the first time I have had this problem.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #520
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Iodophor and Starsan require different handling for proper sanitation; iodophor requires longer contact time, as I recall.

Regarding cleaning the bottles, are you just soaking in water? If so, drop some PBW or Oxyclean in there and you'll be golden. A 24-hour soak in either gets just about anything off.

Quick Reply