Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer got an infection. Didn't take a picture sorry. I Kegged it anyway. I sampled some when I measured the gravity. Had crook guys since. About 4 days ago. What are my chanes of survival?

Huh

American Brown. Three weeks in primary. It's got crumbly brown floaties. Small white flecks and a very slight" oil slick" in places. Smells good. Tastes good.

My gut says trub material. Off gassing and hop oils. What say you? Infected or not?

( Cue Jeopardy music)

Oops, no picture. Here ya go.

IMG_20141004_135459.jpg

IMG_20141004_135440.jpg

Sorry I ment I got crook guts. Looking at some of the other pictures on here i think it might be lactobacillus. I bottled a few and i am just about to sample. There is a bit of build up on the liquid line which i have not had before. is this likely to be from the infection? Am i likely to get sick from drinking it or will it just effect the flavor?

unnamed.jpg

Thats just like what this junk is... it tastes like an IPA. I could not taste any off flavors. I think I will keg and carb it and see what happens...

100_1306.jpg

This is what my infection looked like but with a few bubbles in it too. Any idea what it is?

Sorry I ment I got crook guts. Looking at some of the other pictures on here i think it might be lactobacillus. I bottled a few and i am just about to sample. There is a bit of build up on the liquid line which i have not had before. is this likely to be from the infection? Am i likely to get sick from drinking it or will it just effect the flavor?

Nothing pathogenic can live in beer. Basically you should be fine to drink it, but it might not taste good. Thats why beer came about. It was safer to drink small beers than the water. Tastes better too.

So I brewed a batch 2 weeks back. There was a ton of trub and I don't find that wlp028 packs down particularly well, so I moved it to a secondary after 10 days (which I basically never do). I figured getting it off the fluffy cake and into another vessel would help for the final transfer on bottling day. I'd never seen trub this fluffy and easy to disturb.

The temp of the beer rose from 65 to 75 after I moved the secondary vessel (took it out of the ferm chamber). I noticed this white stuff on top of the beer on bottling day. I'm think it's just little yeasty bits that hooked themselves to the CO2 that came out of the solution when the beer warmed up. There was no change in gravity between the 5 days whens I transferred the beer to secondary and when I bottled it (1.012 both times). I'm leaning towards not infected but I thought I would ask since I've never seen this before.

Thoughts? It's already in the bottle and tasted fine at bottling (or at least, it tasted like the last time I brewed this recipe).

IMG_20141012_191518.jpg

Anyone ever see something like this? Fermentation us just finishing up on day 3. I added FermCap and Whirfloc to the boil. I also used demerara sugar for the first time.

1413295895119.jpg

1413295906174.jpg

1413295920546.jpg

I think I got an infection here. This is 5 gallons of unpasteurized pear cider. I dropped in 5 campden tablets, waiting 48 hours, then pitched Wyeast cider yeast 12 hours ago. http://imgur.com/a/2huX7

I don't know if this is infected or if these are just bubbles formed after adding PB2 & Cocoa Nibs; thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/B35mWjc.jpg[/IG][/quote]

Yeah, its an infection. Those big white bubbles give it away.

Whatever has infected your beer (possibly from either the PB2 or cacao nibs) is not just living in the bubbles. Those are only a byproduct of the bugs/wild yeast. Scooping it off won't get rid of the infection. I'd just leave it and take a sample from underneath the pellicle. You can rack from beneath the pellicle as well. If you scoop it off, it's highly possible that it will just come back anyway.

If you're interested in trying to save it, take periodic gravity readings before bottling to make sure the gravity is stabilized, since fermentation might pick back up due to the infection.

Or you can bottle quickly and roll the dice, but you'll want to drink them quickly and monitor the carbonation to make sure you avoid bottle bombs.

When that happened to my Maori IPA, I scooped it off & spritzed it with Starsan to at least slow it down a little. Bottled it up & it tasted pretty good, with only a hint of sour funk in the NZ hop flavors. So you might get lucky. No more that 2.3 Vco2 by the priming calculators would be a good idea.

I remember years ago commenting on cold break when someone posted it as looking like wet popcorn. It does take on some different shapes, but is still the same stuff.

Ok, so I dont know that this is an infection (doesn't look like it), but my batch had 3 fruit flies in the air lock (yes, and no I have no idea) and it takes both tart/sour and vegetal, and smells like I fermented it at 80F (ethyl acetate or fussel alcohol).

NCM_0520.jpg

NCM_0521.jpg

NCM_0522.jpg

looks like yeast rafts to me, and seems fine. IF your brew should be past primary fermentation: To make you feel better do a gravity reading and check back in 2-3 days. If it changes, wait 2-3 days and do so again. It will either stabilize or show significant signs of infection. Continue to post pictures with updates. = )

Spent 3 hours sanitizing bottles and equipment THEN opened the fermenter:smack:

It is a 30 IBU citra, light extract APAish beer, non dry hopped. The fermenter smells real good and fruity.

I brewed it 2.5 months ago and left it in the fermenter at roomtemp. (~74F)

Are they friendly looking or not? (dump or not? i am okay with something sour or funky)

GEmJNdu.jpg

7USqgIG.jpg

This is how it looks like after 3 months in the primary.

It smells like fermenting grape must/wine, really interestingly fruity. Could it be a wild yeast related smell or it is the Citra? (it is non dryhopped, it had 1oz/5gallon 0 minute hops though.)

vteM0jG.jpg

Does look like an infection starting. Why 3 months in primary?

Well we found out in this topic that it is infected so i decided to left it in the primary to see if it gets worse with time or maybe turns into a sour ale.

edit: its been 3 months since my first post, total time since brewday is something like 5-6 months

I know I'm sure this isn't the forum for this, but has anyone ever pitched yeast again after a week? It seems like my primary has slowed down after 5 days.

Back