Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #181
Vuggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think I have my first infection...

Irish red that has been in the primary for two months and when I cracked it open to bottle (unless I'm racking onto fruit or oak chips, I hardly ever use a secondary) this is what I was greeted by. Haven't seen this in my brews before. The small hole in the scum is from when I took a gravity reading. Instead of panicking, I tried to carefully siphon under the top layer into my bottling bucket. I did a decent job but might have got a small amount of this scum in the bottling bucket. Then I bottled it and am optimistic that everything will be fine in the end.

It didn't smell or taste funny, although I didn't taste the scum! I even had my wife try it to see if she noticed anything (I didn't tell her that I suspected it might be infected 'cause she never would have tried it!).

So anyway, what do you guys think? I kind of think it had an infection but everything will be fine but I might have to drink it fast once it is carbonates! If it grows scum in the bottles and that doesn't go away, I might start thinking about tossing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #182
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That is a gnarly looking cheesy poof beer.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #183
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like you used mini-marshmallows in your secondary.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator
stinkmuis Likes This 
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #184
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I don't know that I could ever taste that batch.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #185
Vuggy
Recipes 

yeah, it looks gross but I tasted it anyway. Tasted like beer so I bottled it.

I guess we'll see what happens. I figure either it will be fine, turn sour, or become bottle bombs. Whatever happens, I should learn something.

Not sure how it got infected. I know that everything was well sanitized with Star San. I actually kind of suspect the lid seal on the fermenter. This and the previous batch that I brewed in this fermenter didn't have any airlock activity. None. While I know this isn't a reliable indication of fermentation but ALL of my other brews have had airlock activity. Of course I've only brewed two dozen batches total so who knows. What I do know is that fermentation did take place (gravity readings) and that the other batch in this fermenter turned out fine. So maybe oxygen got in there due to a bad lid seal?

I think I'm going to retire this bucket and use it for washing the car or something.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #186
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuggy View Post
I think I have my first infection...

Irish red that has been in the primary for two months and when I cracked it open to bottle (unless I'm racking onto fruit or oak chips, I hardly ever use a secondary) this is what I was greeted by. Haven't seen this in my brews before. The small hole in the scum is from when I took a gravity reading. Instead of panicking, I tried to carefully siphon under the top layer into my bottling bucket. I did a decent job but might have got a small amount of this scum in the bottling bucket. Then I bottled it and am optimistic that everything will be fine in the end.

It didn't smell or taste funny, although I didn't taste the scum! I even had my wife try it to see if she noticed anything (I didn't tell her that I suspected it might be infected 'cause she never would have tried it!).

So anyway, what do you guys think? I kind of think it had an infection but everything will be fine but I might have to drink it fast once it is carbonates! If it grows scum in the bottles and that doesn't go away, I might start thinking about tossing it.
damnit now I want some yams.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #187
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I think I had my first infection. Sorry, no pix. I had a pilsner with ale yeast and put it to rest on March 20th. On April 29th I opened the bucket and it had a thin white film floating on top that looked like the grease on cold hamburger or soup. It wasn't smelly and I still bottled it so I will know in about three weeks. I did taste the sample for the FG and it tasted OK but I think in the back of my mind, it was telling me to spit it out.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #188
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Geez even my lambic that I dosed with Brett B, Belgian Sour Blend, and some other buggy blend hasn't shown any signs of looking abnormal... Sort of makes me want to make a wort just to leave it open in my basement just to see what it would look like after a few weeks.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #189
Sheaffdogg
Recipes 

Default I have the same thing.. what is it??

Ok I also have the same exact thing going on in secondary on an imperial brown ale! It appeared after about a week and I just tasted it and it seems fine to me. The gravity actually dropped from 1029 to 1025 since racking (was hoping for that) so is now at an ABV of 7.33. I was thinking maybe I should just keg and carb it now. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingmonkey View Post
Here's another.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #190
ForeverYoung
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezknight View Post
I don't know why I open up threads like this. All it does is make me worry about my next batch. Of course it could also make me continue to be obsessively anal about my sanitation procedures.
I'm surprised you don't get more infections if you clean it that way, or at least a smelly Carboy.

Quick Reply