Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #1401
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergti
Third day of fermentation for this stout with whitbread 1099....beautiful krausen for a day and a half then dropped, then these little islands startd showing. Haven't seen this in any of my brews. What does this look like to all of you? Thanks!
Yeast-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #1402
silvergti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Phe, I was nervous of the starter I used. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #1403
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergti View Post
Phe, I was nervous of the starter I used. Thanks for the reassurance!
Yup looks good to me too. Just some yeasties

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #1404
B33F
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright boys and girls!

I brewed up a solid DIPA on Sunday with an OG of 1.085 and pitched some yeast that I harvested from a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. This was before I knew that SN uses readily available yeast strains for their beers... Anyway, it took about 24 hours for first activity which is unusual for me and then after about 40 hrs a horrendoes egg stench started coming from the airlock. Like so bad that I had to move the fermentor from my guest room to my storage room outside my apartment. I let it be and then checked it this morning about 2.5 days after pitching and there's no more activity in the airlock and it looks like this... I posted some nervous threads yesterday in here and in another brew forum. Someone suggested that since Bigfoot is bottle conditioned, they may use a separate lager yeast for bottling and that's what I may have pitched into a DIPA.

beer.jpg  

Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #1405
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Perfectly normal. That's simply yeast.

It's extremely unlikely that you could develop an infection in only 2.5 days. They usually take much longer to reveal themselves (weeks/months) unless you've seriously contaminated your batch. That said, I have two comments:

First, stop taking the lid off! You're exposing your beer to outside contaminants (risking infection) and oxygen (risking oxidation). Leave the lid on and forget about it for at least 2 weeks.

Second, that beer looks pretty much finished. If it's only been 2.5 days, as you say, then I'm concerned it may have fermented too hot, which would result in some unpleasant off-flavours. In the future, make more of an effort to keep the beer's temperature (not the room's temperature) between 60-65° F.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1406
B33F
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Second, that beer looks pretty much finished. If it's only been 2.5 days, as you say, then I'm concerned it may have fermented too hot, which would result in some unpleasant off-flavours. In the future, make more of an effort to keep the beer's temperature (not the room's temperature) between 60-65° F.
I only took it off once to get a look and took the pic. The other thing is I leave a thermometer in that guest room and it was pretty steady at 17 C which is roughly 62.5 F. I don't think there's any possibility that it got over 70 in there during that time. Why do you think it was giving off that smell?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #1407
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33F View Post
I don't think there's any possibility that it got over 70 in there during that time. Why do you think it was giving off that smell?
A normal fermentation.

Fermentation produces all sorts of funky smells, including sulphur/rotten egg. It's normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Your temperature sounds OK, just be aware that fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning it generates its own heat. During the peak of fermentation, the temperature in the wort can be up to 5-10° F warmer than the surrounding ambient air. It's crucial to keep that fermentation temperature in the low-to-mid 60's.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #1408
B33F
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post

A normal fermentation.
You're making me feel better already. I may have to RDWHAHB with one of my aged Barley Wines. Anyway, I'll update to let you know when it comes down to bottling how it's going. I was just so surprised by the smell because of the 20+ batches I've brewed, I've never had any that didn't smell delicious.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1409
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33F View Post
Alright boys and girls!

I brewed up a solid DIPA on Sunday with an OG of 1.085 and pitched some yeast that I harvested from a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.
The other thing is you re-pitched yeast from a really high OG beer (bigfoot) I'm surprised it finished that quickly. In the future it might be a good idea to safe yeast from a lower ABV beer. I'm sure it will turn out ok and it will be beer!

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #1410
autonomist3k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hahahahahaha!
image-3452180979.jpg

Quick Reply