Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > post home brew stomach cramps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
tar1010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default post home brew stomach cramps

I am curious if there is something I'm doing wrong when I brew a batch. No matter if I have 3 or 13, the next few days I have some serious lower abdominal cramps and gas. Could this be the type of yeast? I do extract kits btw.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar1010
I am curious if there is something I'm doing wrong when I brew a batch. No matter if I have 3 or 13, the next few days I have some serious lower abdominal cramps and gas. Could this be the type of yeast? I do extract kits btw.
Are you new to homebrew? A lot of people experience what you are experiencing When switching to homebrew because of the bottle conditioning. The yeast is reacting with your intestines and producing some fun gas. Eventually your body will get use to it and you will not experience it anymore.

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Are you practicing the homebrew pour? MAke sure you're pouring "to the shoulder". You want to leave about 1/4" of the bottle's contents behind - that'll be the bulk of the yeast in the bottle left behind from bottle conditioning, and should make things much friendlier on your digestive tract.

If you're already doing that, and still reacting the the yeast that's still in suspension, you _could_ have a yeast allergy. Which is just plain unfortunate.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Honestly, I've found that with proper conditioning, and a couple days of chilling, I can pour near 100% of the contents of a bottle. The year layer adheres to the bottom pretty well. Just pour it all at one go, and don't keep tipping it back and forth/swirling the contents.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1432 Times on 1310 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just spent a weekend at the Cape (Cod) with my non-drinking, 84 year-old mom. She had some of my hard lemonade for breakfast one morning with some undesirable after effects. Be happy you only got gas from the yeast.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It only took me about a week to get used to homebrew. It is amazing the amount of gas you can produce from the yeast. I woke my wife up in the middle of the night with some extremely LOUD reliefs. I had to get up and open the window. You know your full of gas when you feel your stomach actually go down after one of the large gassing's.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I still get gas, I recommend going to GNC and getting a probiotic supplement, changed my digestive life

Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I get GI pain when I drink green beer. I found if I let the beer stay in the fermentor for 3 weeks and clear up, I have no problems.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always do 4 weeks primary, 4 weeks bottle conditioning and get a tight little cake (love me them tight little cakes) in the bottom of the bottle. I have never had to halt my pour before it goes vertical, never gotten yeast in my glass and never had any GI problems. But I have heard from this forum many people that have had adjustments when first switching to home brew. I'd suggest you do the followong in this order

1. bottle condition 4 weeks
2. ensure you don't pour yeast sediment into ypour glass
3. wait 2 weeks to see if the issue resolves itself
4. See a doctor if the problem continues.

Hope you feel better.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

What's your beer drinking history prior to homebrewing? Have you always just drank BMC? Or are you a die hard craft beer drinker who knows his way around bottle conditioned beer. Have you drank a lot of commercial hefes?

If all you've ever had in your drinking "career" are highly filtered BMC it does take some getting used to that there's a LOT of yeast in there. And our bodies aren't used to it initially. Even though it's really really good for us.

Like others have said it often takes time. But our bodies do adapt.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply