Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post Fermentation Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Dirt101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Post Fermentation Temp

I hate to start another ferm temp thread but I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. I can regulate my ferm temps for the first 2 or 3 days very well during the heavy fermentation and keep them pretty much wherever I want, 65 to 68 degrees. My question is after the initial fermentation is done. I have just been letting them sit in primary in my basement and the thermometer on the sides read a constant 63-65 degrees. Is this too cool? Ive been listening to some of the BrewStrong podcasts and they mentioned keeping the ferm temps down but then letting the temp rise after the heavy action has subsided (they were brewing a porter, which is what i have in primary right now if it matters)..thanks for any insight.

Primary 1 - Jamils Robust Porter
Primary 2 - empty
Bottled - #1 English Brown Ale, #2 Ordinary Bitter, #3 Irish Red, #4 Edwerts Pale Ale

On Deck: Obsidian Stout Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know the science behind this, but that's exactly what I've been doing with my brews and haven't had any adverse affects. Once the yeast is done it's job, it's gone to sleep at the bottom of the carboy. At that time temp is still important (you don't want it really warm) but not as critical IMHO.

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you should try to get it a little warmer for at least a few days if possible... this will help the yeast keep going to clean up any diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, etc. that they might produce during the first part of fermentation... If you make it cooler, you may not get this benefit... I'm sure it's not always necessary, but I always try to warm my fermenter up for a few days after the bulk of fermentation is complete.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
I think you should try to get it a little warmer for at least a few days if possible... this will help the yeast keep going to clean up any diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, etc. that they might produce during the first part of fermentation... If you make it cooler, you may not get this benefit... I'm sure it's not always necessary, but I always try to warm my fermenter up for a few days after the bulk of fermentation is complete.
Ditto. The perfect ale ferment would start cool 62-65 for the first few days. Then once the fermentation starts to wind down and the krausen starts to drop, warm things up to 66-72.

Keeping it cool in the begining helps reduce estery and hot alochol off flavors.
Warming at the end helps clean up the beer and reach full attenuation.

Put em together and you will have a very clean tasting brew

Also, always make a starter for your liquid yeast.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll have to try warming at the end with my next batch and see if I can notice a difference. Thanks for adding some of the science to it

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Dirt101
Recipes 

Great, thanks for the info..my porter has been in primary since Nov 1st, would it benefit it to bring it upstairs and let it warm up for the rest of the time? I used S-05 yeast.

Primary 1 - Jamils Robust Porter
Primary 2 - empty
Bottled - #1 English Brown Ale, #2 Ordinary Bitter, #3 Irish Red, #4 Edwerts Pale Ale

On Deck: Obsidian Stout Clone

Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt101 View Post
Great, thanks for the info..my porter has been in primary since Nov 1st, would it benefit it to bring it upstairs and let it warm up for the rest of the time? I used S-05 yeast.
Yes if the basement is cold (under 68) you should move to the warmer location and maybe give things a swirl.

Quick Reply