New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Possible mold on beer... dump it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
RogueAg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible mold on beer... dump it?

Finished up a partial mash a couple weeks ago..... it fermented nicely and everything was proceeding according to plan. Transferred to a secondary (possibly my mistake)... and it's still generating a little bit of CO2.... but.... it appears it might have some mold growing on top.

Dump or not dump? Help!

Sorry for lack of pics......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
danielinva
Recipes 

Welcome to homebrewtalk. You definitely should not be dumping your beer. Its quite likely that its just little clumps of CO2 bubbles. If it actually is mold, just rack out from under the mold when you go to bottle and stop before you suck up the top of your beer.

Pics would help though.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

Read the discussion we're having on this thread for information.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fail-ale-131901/

And honestly without pics we can't really help you....what some new brewers thinks is mold, often isn't anything more than hops on yeast rafts. So unless we see it, it would be conjecture.

But take a look at the info on that posted thread talking about mold and infections and what to do if it indeed is mold.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
RogueAg
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick responses.... My beer looks similar the the pics in the linked thread, but I'm pretty sure it's mold.... I'll take and post a pic tonight for y'all to look over to help with a better diagnosis.

Either way, I feel better if knowing I might be able to salvage by racking out from underneath it.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
RogueAg
Recipes 

Well here's a pic... best I could do in the lighting and with a not-so-great camera...

Upon further inspection, it does resemble the stuff in the pics in the Fail ale thread... And when you look really closely, it looks like clumps of tiny bubbles..... No fuzzies..... nothing dangling down into the beer..... just groups of tiny bubbles.....

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

Honestly that looks a hellofalot like normal "yeast rafts" to me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
RogueAg
Recipes 

Well, I'm not sure.... but after further inspection, the lack of any fuzzies or discoloration (mainly green) was encouraging. All white... can't see any solids.... just looks like bubbles.

I'll let it continue to lager for awhile and monitor. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
ENS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default here is some pics of my first brew

it is in the second fermenter looks like the above pics. There are some brownish beige formations near the surface too, but they are the same color as the krauzen when it was in the first fermenter. Yes, I am new and I got the newbie jitters, trying to relax, but no homebrew to be had yet. thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

Your yeast floaties look perfectly normal to me. These develop quite often when you rack to secondary. Relax, your beer will be fine. Stick around and learn how to make your beer even better.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
ENS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

thanks. this is a cool site! I guess I'll relax and drink a mass produced beer and add another bottle to my collection.

that little spot is my main worry.

Last edited by ENS; 11-19-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply