Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it possible to ferment to long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
argodzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it possible to ferment to long?

So I have a brown that I just racked from primary to secondary after 2 weeks in primary. I am going to leave it in secondary for a week and bottle next Saturday. If I decided to leave it for an additional week in secondary..the beer will be a month old. Is there a risk that too much yeast will flocculate out and there won't be enough left in suspension to carb the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

No. You are good for a looong time actually.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

some of us leav e our beers in primary for a month or more, on purpose, skipping secondary and opting for a long primary instead.. Remember, your beer isn't FERMENTING that long. A beer will only ferment til the yeast eats all the sugars. After that the beer is conditioning.

So no there's no such thing as "fermenting too long" because a beer only ferments as long as it needs to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I'm actually bottling a moose drool brown ale clone today that I had in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 2 weeks.

I could've just kept it in the primary the whole time but I needed to free up my bucket for bottling another brew.

I figure it could benefit with the 2 weeks in the secondary to help it mellow out in bulk. Not sure if it needed the 2 weeks, but figure it couldn't hurt either...

Quick Reply