Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Possible broken glass in bottles (advice please)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
DaveGerard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible broken glass in bottles (advice please)

Bottling up 5 gals of a honey brown ale kit from Nothern Brewer (smelled real good, nice color, etc). Using the hand capper, put the first bottle on the kitchen counter, capped it, squeezed the capper, and just obliterated it. Glass and beer everywhere. I can't be sure that some glass didn't get into the other 48 bottles that were uncapped and on the floor waiting to go, so I am not sure if I should just chuck the whole batch (everything is now capped, and I am obviosuly reluctant to get rid of 2 cases of what looks like really good beer), or just strain the bottles when I pour them for drinking. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The glass will fall to the bottom of the bottle. Just remember to pour slow and look in glass before u drink. I also suggest a bottle tree, this keeps bottles up side down and free of bugs, debree and flying glass.

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
DaveGerard
Recipes 

Thanks, the bottle tree wouldn't have worked this time because the bottles were all full of beer, but I am investing in a bench top capper that I think would have prevented this.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

One thing I've always done when I bottle is to fill a few bottles and put the sanitized cap on top while I fill the rest and then cap them a dozen or so at a time. This keeps stuff out of the beer you've bottled, and allows the co2 to fill the headspace until you close the cap.

It's too late now, but next time, don't fill all your bottles and then cap them all. At least put the cap over the bottle until you use the capper.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
One thing I've always done when I bottle is to fill a few bottles and put the sanitized cap on top while I fill the rest and then cap them a dozen or so at a time. This keeps stuff out of the beer you've bottled, and allows the co2 to fill the headspace until you close the cap.

It's too late now, but next time, don't fill all your bottles and then cap them all. At least put the cap over the bottle until you use the capper.
Ditto - I do the same as Yoop does. If you plan to bottle for awhile a bench capper isn't a bad idea.

One question... Where you using twist offs? - They are prone to this problem.

If you keep the beer, I'd strain it in a fine mesh strainer. I would try the gold colored reusable coffee filters, they are conical in shape. Drop one in your mug and pour away. You should have a good head after this!!!

I'd also keep this as my private stash just because of the risk involved.

The whole thing sucks though! Be carefull not to forget to strain after you have 3 or 4.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That sux dude. I believe I'd just use a fine mesh strainer. That and toss that wing capper in the garbage.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

or better yet, set it on fire

that sux dude, i'd definitely use a strainer or something when pouring these. broken glass worries me.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

If you are really worried about it, You should go to a hardware store and buy a bunch of paint strainers the paper ones with the screen in the bottom, and set one in your mug and pour slowly theose should filter all small particles of glass out, Also when you are filling your bottles try placing paper towell over them as they sit.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
DaveGerard
Recipes 

Good ideas all, yes, I am definitely straining every beer, and yes, this is private reserve only. I am definitely going to be bottling, no room/$ for a keg setup, but I am sure as hell ditching the wing capper for a bench top.

And not only was it a twist off (which hasn't been a problem for me), but it was a michelob lite bottle, which has a different slope to the neck than a standard bottle. It was late and I was tired and not really paying attention to that, and it only took a slight squeeze before the thing popped like a balloon.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGerard
Good ideas all, yes, I am definitely straining every beer, and yes, this is private reserve only. I am definitely going to be bottling, no room/$ for a keg setup, but I am sure as hell ditching the wing capper for a bench top.

And not only was it a twist off (which hasn't been a problem for me), but it was a michelob lite bottle, which has a different slope to the neck than a standard bottle. It was late and I was tired and not really paying attention to that, and it only took a slight squeeze before the thing popped like a balloon.
I have had no issues with my wing capper, But one night I popped a top off one of my bottles and the neck shattered in my hand, So it could of been a weak bottle.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply