Possible Aging Issue with my TripEL IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
First of all, its a TripEL IPA, not a TripLE IPA. It is a pretty high gravity beer and I got caught up in getting this beer kegged that I dry hopped it on Sunday and today would be day 3 with dry hops. I went back and looked at the recommended aging for this beer and realized it said 1 month in the secondary. I have only had it in there for 2 weeks and need to transfer off the hops because I don't want a "grassy" flavor to my beer.

Do you think I should just go ahead and keg it and force carb it or transfer to the keg and let it sit in the closet and age some more before force carbing it? Thanks

Dry hopping really only adds a hoppy aroma to your beer, your not upping the IBUs. I'd say use a thief to draw off a sample and if you are ok with the aroma of it go ahead and keg it, if you would like more hop aroma let it sit for a while longer.

It is not a question of to force-carb or not... that does not matter... it is the chilling that will send your yeast out of suspension and really slow down the aging process to 'nearly stopped'. Go ahead and carb and keg, if you want it off the hops... it will change nothing about how the beer ages.

So basically its okay that it wont age an extra couple of weeks? It should slowly age in the keg after time right?

Its only been on dry hops for 3 days? How long in primary? - if it was rushed to secondary it would definitely benefit from some aging... Let it sit on the hops for another week and then it will have been in secondary for 3 weeks, and on the hops for 10 days. Best of both worlds and I dont think you're gonna get grassiness from 10 days of dry hop, lots of people go 2 weeks w/o problems but it also depends on the hop. It will continue to "season" in the keg when cold but veeeeery sloooooowly... if it stays at temp and there were some yeast in suspension it will still age normally

So basically its okay that it wont age an extra couple of weeks? It should slowly age in the keg after time right?

It will age normally in the keg at normal fermentation temperature (call that your tertiary fermentation). It will age VERY slowly in the keg at drinking temperature. You will drink it all before it ages much, most likely.

Thats what I was thinking. The more I read, the more I think it sitting with the hops isn't that big of a deal. I think I'll keep it dry hopping for another week or so and then keg it.

See and I have seen in many previous posts people saying dry hop for 3-5 days and anything after will start to produce a "grassy" flavor. Just goes to show the vastness of opinions on here and to double check all advice. I've learned that when it comes to brewing, people have opinions that are totally across the board.

See and I have seen in many previous posts people saying dry hop for 3-5 days and anything after will start to produce a "grassy" flavor. Just goes to show the vastness of opinions on here and to double check all advice. I've learned that when it comes to brewing, people have opinions that are totally across the board.

I've been noticing that too... some people swear by one method and some swear by another. Is there a big difference between the flavor of their beer? Who knows, but I doubt it. I think there are a lot of different ways to make great beer, thats half the fun, so just do what works for you. I bet most of us just end up learning as we go and start to disregard some advice in favor of personal experience and preference. Brew on, your beer will turn out fine :mug:

I think this is as LESS a matter of there being so many ways to accomplish the same thing and MORE a matter of clear communication.
to clear up this confusion, lets consider ALL of the variables, and not just one (time).... How many hops are you talking about??!!!??? 1 hop cone in a 5 gallon batch will never give any flavor no matter how long you leave it. 10 lbs of hops dumped into a 1 gallon Johny will instantaneously turn the liquid therein into distilled evil.

Back