Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Possible to add flavoring post boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Mdowling56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible to add flavoring post boil?

Hi all,

First post... tried the search but couldn't really find anything pertaining to my Q.

So i'm on my second brew and I need to see if I can make some changes late in the game.

I started out with a very simple brown ale, its been in the primary for about a week and chugging along nicely.

Well today a few of my buddies informed me that they will all be doing Holiday style ales for a party coming up at the end of November. We are all at about the same point skill wise, so there is a fair about of bragging rights to be had at this party.

Rather then try to rush along a legit holiday ale recipe, I was wondering if it would still be possible to add flavoring to my brown ale? Its not a particularly strong flavored ale so I thought it might be nice to add some hints of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg etc.) and possibly a little orange peel or something. Nothing crazy, just enough to where I can call it somewhat of a "holiday brew" and not look like the guy who just did a Newcastle clone.

Also, suggestion on spice/amounts would be very much appreciated.

A friend of mine did suggest infusing a good vodka with the spice over the next few weeks and then adding it to the beer when its time to rack into the keg. I dont know how much this friend really knows what he's talking about so I wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
kinison_fan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Your friend's suggestion is spot on.
A shot or two of vodka in a small bottle (or mason jar) with a 1/2 teaspoon, or more of each spice-even the orange peel-let it sit for a week or two (or longer if you have time).

Filter through a coffee filter to get just the liquid, and add to the batch at bottling time.
Add a little at a time, stir gently to mix it in, then taste. Keep adding a little until you have the right hint (or punch in the mouth) of flavor. Then bottle or Keg.

That is basically how you make your own flavor extracts.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply