Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Porter -stouts without carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
mattbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Porter -stouts without carbonation?

Please advise.... I've been brewing for about a year and my BIG/Double stouts and porters have been lacking carbonation. Do I need to add extra sugar ? All of my brews have been excellent, except for these styles. The only commonality is honey at the last 5mins of brewing. Please assist....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 123

More info. please.
ie. it sounds like you're not adding any priming sugar?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

What yeast are you using? If these are really big beers, you may have reached their ABV limit and they just can't do any more.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 999 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

How long do you let them carbonate?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier
How long do you let them carbonate?
And at what temps.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I'm thinking "BIG" might be your problem. The more alcohol you have, the harder it is to get the yeasties to go back to work. I don't usually venture into these realms, so I'm not the best source, but I understand that a lot of folks need several months to carbonate their RISes and the like.

If you're impatient, I could recommend two things:

1. Get a kegging system. You could force carbonate in a matter of minutes if you like. Or . . .

2. Get a beer engine. Cask ales are meant to be served at roughly 1 volume of CO2, which is about where you're at in the fermenter. Plus, a stout on the hand pump with a sparkler tip attached is a thing of beauty. It's what Guinness et. al. try to simulate with the nitro system.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
mattbeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I apologize for the vagueness. I am using WYEAST 1056 with a yeast starter plate. The fermentation begins within 24 hours. I use a blow off line because it gets messy. I let it sit in a secondary for an additional 3-4 weeks after fermentation is over. I use the recommended amount of finishing sugar, but I barely get any carbonation.

My double IPA's come out excellent, but stouts and porters don't have carbonation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeer
I apologize for the vagueness. I am using WYEAST 1056 with a yeast starter plate. The fermentation begins within 24 hours. I use a blow off line because it gets messy. I let it sit in a secondary for an additional 3-4 weeks after fermentation is over. I use the recommended amount of finishing sugar, but I barely get any carbonation.

My double IPA's come out excellent, but stouts and porters don't have carbonation. Any suggestions would be helpful.
What is the ABV of each? What type and how much sugar are you adding for each style?

My most recent recipes: http://www.brewtoad.com/brewers/191

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

But you STILL didn't tell us how long you're letting them sit in the bottles, and at what temp, before you try them. I've found that there are rarely any carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolproof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.or, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
mattbeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks so much. The bottles live in my basement which is generally in the 60's. I'll bring a bunch upstairs where it's warmer.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply