Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Porter advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
sww35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the efforts. I am very thankful for it. I am only capable of a partial boil of 2 gallons with the pot I currently have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you can only boil 2 gallons, then you will need to increase the bittering hops addition to get back to the right bitterness level. For a 2 gallon boil, my software says 1.75 ounces of Magnum at 60 minutes will give you 33 IBU. 2 ounces of Magnum at 60 minutes will result in about 38 IBU. Would lean toward the smaller amount, since you mentioned you are not a huge hop-head. The rest of recipe remains unchanged. The malt bill and late hops additions do not need to be adjusted for the smaller boil, only the first addition requires adjusting to maintain the desired bitterness.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

From another forum

Quote:
I appreciate your interest in brewing great beer but I am severely
limited in what I could tell you about ours. So what I can tell you is
this:
About 75% pale malt
18% crystal
3% wheat (this
helps alot with mouth feel)
4-5% dark malts
(we use chocolate)
In the kettle we use magnum for bittering and finish with Goldings.

Good luck, and if you open a brewery with my beer I would have to
kill you! Happy Holidays.
Joe
Schiraldi (LHTBC)

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf
If you're doing extract, throw 4oz of maltodextrin in when I you make dark beers. I've noticed a huge improvement in mouth feel and overall beerness in my stouts and porters.
Does that just go in the boil at the end? Last 5-10 min? Or do I add it some other time (priming, maybe? Sorry, new to brewing...)?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I add it with 10 minutes to go but you can technically add it at any point. It adds no flavor, color, etc only mouth feel. It will boost your gravity reading numbers a little bit, but it will be the same addition to OG as it will to FG so your difference should remain the same.... It does not ferment.

No problem, I'm still relatively new myself! Welcome to HBT and don't hesitate to ask questions!

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh97 View Post
I must of been working off poor numbers online at hopville. I do not have Beer Smith on this computer, which is what I formulate all my recipes in. The recipe I built was 1.065 OG 39.8 SRM and 34.6 IBU according to that sight if i remember correctly. I thought the extract seemed like a bit much from what I could remember but I only did a few extract batches.
Actually, I think I was the one with the "faulty" numbers. I calculated my recipe with DRY extract. You probably put LIQUID extract in your beersmith calculations, like the OP originally said. This is twice in 2 weeks I have made this same mistake when helping people calculate recipes. I must be getting old or something. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Quick Reply